Milan to Venice, train or plane?

Apr 26th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Milan to Venice, train or plane?

what airline is best to take from the Milan airport to Venice Airport.
Will be landing around 8 am into Milan. What time would be best to take flight to Venice.
How long is flight? Price?
About the Euro train, is it easy to get to from the Milan Airport? How long and times to Venice...Price?

Thanks for the help

Ps I tried to search for the info I didn't do too good in finding any.....

Apr 26th, 2004, 07:48 PM
rex

The website www.opodo.com shows an Alitalia flight Dep 09:45 Arr 10:45 at 105.50 GBP - - even though this is a good deal more than the train, I would think you might want to consider taking it.

Are you flying INTO Milan (Malpensa, I assume) on Alitalia? They may have a lwoer cost "through" fare for you (or even one of its partners).

If you are flying into Linate, then there are probably other options as well.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 26th, 2004, 07:51 PM
rex

P.S. - - there are no such things as "Euro" trains - - only Italian trains, French trains, etc.

The marketing consortium www.raileurope.com makes Americans think that there is one big European rail company since they sell "Eurailpasses". It is purely a marketing term.

It is NOT straightforward, by the way to get from Milan Malpensa to Milano Centrale (train station). If perhaps, you DO want to go into Milan, the schedules for the train service from Milan to Venice are at www.trenitalia.com
Apr 26th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Hi

A flight from Milan to Venice can't take long. My wife and I went to Milan and Venice last year and we took a train between the 2 cities and the EuroStar only took 2 1/2 hours. It you land at Malpensa you can take the Malpennsa shuttle to the central station and from there take a train and arrive right in Venice. I have posted more info about our tip in a trip report with pictures on my personal homepage gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, norway
Apr 26th, 2004, 09:40 PM

If your are arriving into Malpensa but want to skip Milan to go direct to Venice, then I agree that flying makes the most sense, as long as you don't have too tight a connecting flight to Venice, in case your arriving flight is tardy.

I haven't done this in a couple years, but I seems to recall that the Malpensa Express train from the Airport into Milan arrives at the Cardorna station, but the train (which is not a EuroStar Italia, but rather a decent Inter City train) leaves Milan from the Centrale train station. Therefore you would have to take a taxi to change stations in order to train to Venice.

The Malpensa Shuttle, which is a bus service would go directly to the Centrale station, thought would take longer.

If you haven't already booked your international flight, like Rex says, it would make sense to book this as a 'through fare' to Venice, both because the price might be different and also, because the airlines will take responsibility if you miss your connecting flight, even if on a codeshare partner airline.

Hope this helps!
Apr 26th, 2004, 09:45 PM
rex

The primary advantage of flying would be less baggage schlepping, in my opinion. But in your case, there is some real time savings. The earlies Eurostar would depart Milan 12:55, arrive Venice 15:38. The (slower, but only slightly) alternative would be the IC at 11:05, arriving 14:09.

That provides an incentive to fly onward.
Apr 27th, 2004, 04:02 AM

On our recent trip, with took the shuttle from Malpensa to the train station (Centrale). We bought tickets for the train and within 15 minutes, it was leaving for Venice. Flying may be less hassle, but I think what we did was probably less expensive, and we had a nice nap on the train. Getting into Venice at the train station is probably more convenient than the airport.
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM

For relatively short trips, I much prefer the train. It is far less cramped, and you get a chance to see the scenery. I don't know about the connection in Milan, but in Venice, even assuming you fly into the most convenient airport, the trip out to the island can be expensive and long, while if you arrive on the train you walk out of the station to be faced with a view that almost everyone considers a high point of their life.
Apr 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your advice, it certainly helped.. I think we will take the easy way and fly into Venice. We are on a Continental flight from NJ and land around 8 am in
Malpensa . Do you think a 9:45 am Alitalia flight is enough time??

From San Marco airport how far to the water taxis? How do you get from the plane to the boat?
I remember reading , Oh I'm sorry but I forgot her name she and her husband renewed their wedding vows just recently..It was great to read her story as she said she knew everything she had to do as the Fodorites told her everything to expect on her trip to Venice.

Again thanks to Rex, Gard, LeslieC, Peggy B, and Cleveland B.