Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long it takes to drive from CDG to Lascaux (Montignac)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:50 AM
Scott

After overnight flight we will be renting a car and trying to get to our first destination, Lascaux.<BR>From your experience do you think it is doable trip in one day or should we stop somewhere for one night? Any recommendations?<BR><BR>Anyone knows e-mail and website address for Hotel Terminus in Cahors that was recommended on this board?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:20 AM
Gretchen

Go to maporama.com or mapquest.com and get your itinerary and time.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Scott

I hope to hear from those with personal experience. I know it is 308 miles from Paris<BR><BR>From your experience do you think it is doable trip in one day or should we stop somewhere for one night? Any recommendations?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:38 AM
Cinque

Help!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:48 AM
margo

I don't have personal experience of CDG to Lascaux, but we used viamichelin.com last year for other areas of France, and found their timings pretty good, and you have the option of several routes. Don't forget that distances will be in kilometres.<BR><BR>I'd have to say that 308 miles (almost 500km) is a pretty long drive, in a country you don't know. Even if your flight arrives first thing in the morning, and you are rested, I'd be looking to break it up a bit. If you hit the autoroutes you could do it, but how boring is that? Are you in France for some sort of race?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Jinx Hoover

We made that trip (Beynac to Paris CDG) in August, 2002. Left Beynac 8:am and drove to Oradour-sur-Glane. Spent 3-4 hours there, and drove on to Novotel, CDG, arriving by 6pm. A full day, but definitely doable.<BR><BR>Regards, <BR><BR>Jinx Hoover

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:01 PM
JOdy

while I am a great fan of the Michelin route guides, they are not totally reliable, you have to allow for the unexpected! Last week, after picking a car up at Orly , we were to have a 19 minute drive to the first exit of our trip....1 hour and 45 minutes later we got there! Heavy rain, fog, horrendous traffic and an accident contributed to the delays..I'd plan on a stopover somewhere..308 miles is a long trip after getting off a plane and in strange suroundings..and french road signs take getting used to!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:01 PM
StCirq

Scott:<BR><BR>I have a fair amount experience with this itinerary. It is about 6-7 hours. I would NOT recommend it after an all-night flight. It's not that interesting a drive, either. <BR><BR>I would suggest you 1) take the train to P&eacute;rigueux and pick up a car there right at the train station - you'd have a bout a half-hour drive to Montignac from there; or 2) take the train to Limoges (same train), pick up a car there, see Oradour-sur-Glane (an unforgettable place), and spend the night near Oradour, then continue to Montignac the next day - less than 2 hours' drive.<BR><BR>I don't think the H&ocirc;tel Terminus has a website (just rechecked on Google and couldn't find anything), but here are the address and phone no:<BR><BR>Adresse : 5 avenue Charles de Freycinet - 46000 Cahors<BR>R&eacute;servation : 04 89 88 40 91<BR><BR>You'll get your business done faster by phone anyway. Using websites and e-mail just hasn't become part of the norm in the hotel business in the SW of France yet, for the most part.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:07 PM
Susan na

Do it in 2 days. That's not a safe, easy OR pleasant way to start a trip. Check guide books for places to stay on the way that look interesting. Get there in the early afternoon, look around, have a leisurely, good dinner, turn in early head out at a reasonable hour next morn. and get there before noon. You will have time to see every thing you had planned on that day anyway!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Scott

Thank you Susanna, StCirq, Jody, Jinx and Margo. Great information<BR><BR>We will stop somewhere on the way for a day or two. But where? Any ideas?<BR><BR>Any nice and small hotels or inns to stay in Perigord area for around 100 euro per night?

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
StCirq

Scott:<BR><BR>If you are set on driving, and want to spend two nights on the road, I would do the following.<BR><BR>1) spend the first night in the region of Orl&eacute;ans. My suggestion would be the H&ocirc;tel d l'Abbaye in Beaugency, a gotgeous former 17th-century convent, a comfortable, elegant place where you can get a lovely double room for $75-$100 a night. I'd opt to eat elsewhere than at the restaurant, which we thought was good, but overpriced (odd, as the rooms were really a bargain.)Telephone is (from USA) 011-33-2-38-44-67-35. Fax is 011-33-2-38-44-87-92.<BR><BR>2. Near Limoges, stay at the Ch&acirc;teau du Chambon, where Henri IV hunted wolves. The same family has owned this place for eight centuries. It's on the route de Compostelle and has seen a lot of travelers. Now it's a B&amp;B with 1 suite for 4 people, 1 double, and one twin room. Price - an incredible 50-75 euros a night, including breakfast. It's just northeast of Limoges. Telephone is 011-33-5-55-71-47-04. Fax is 011-33-5-55-71-51-41.<BR><BR>If you decide to make only one stop, I'd say stop near Poitiers. We enjoyed the Ch&acirc;teau Clos de la Ribaudi&egrave;re, just outside town in Chasseneuil-du-Poitou (tel.: 011-33-5-49-52-86-66; fax: 011-33-5-49-52-86-32). It's a kind of quirky place, but our impression may have come from having been housed in a kind of annex. We had a quad room - a two-room suite, actually, with huge bedrooms and a medium-sized shared bathroom. Very little furniture (huge armoire housing a tv set, writing desk, two dressers, a bed), most of it modern, and hardly anything on the walls, but still the setting was lovely, with a large pool outside, an old bassin full of fish, and a lovely restaurant where we dined by the bassin. The quad room cost about $170. Doubles, I believe, are about $100-$130.00. It was a bit difficult to find, as I recall, even with those tiny little hotel signs they have in French towns, but once we got there we found it very peaceful and the staff were exceptionally nice.<BR><BR>Since you are driving, do take the time to visit Oradour-sur-Glane, whether you take two days to get to Montignac or one.<BR><BR>The P&eacute;rigord is chock full of lovely inns where you can stay for $100 or less a night. Where do you plan to base yourself? How long are you staying? I'd be happy to recommend places once I know what your plans are.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:52 PM
Ben Haines

High speed trains, with buffet car, leave C de G airport at 0855 and 1345 and take 3 hours to Poitiers or Angouleme, where you can hire a car, or carry on by a slow train for two hours to Limoges.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:58 AM
topper

topping for Scott