Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transfer to Orly from CDG to avoid traffic around Paris?

Feb 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Arriving 6 a.m. CDG, and heading to Burgundy. Question: Is driving around Paris at 8 a.m. so hard that it's worth transferring by bus to Orly and picking the rental car up there, instead of at CDG?
Feb 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Absolutely not. Drive from CDG -- not a problem. Check the route on www.viamichelin.com
Feb 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM

The bus would also fight traffic. The RER would probably be a better connection. But I would drive. If traffic is heavy, it is slow; just stick yourself in a middle lane and follow the signs. I would not take the ceinture itself but A-86.
Google map Paris to get a picture of the map.
Feb 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Depart CDG to the east (not the normal exit), pickup N2 to N104 (the Francilienne) to A5 to Burgundy. It will be busy but it is the best way. You gain nothing by going to ORY and you lose a lot of time.

However, if you are arriving CDG after an all night, transatlantic flight, Burgundy is way too far to attempt to drive as tired as you will certainly be. Fatigue is a major cause of accidents, add in an unfamiliar vehicle on unknown roads and you have a formula for disaster.
Feb 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of this good advice. Yes, arriving from overnight flight. However, only going as far as Vezelay, so only about 3 hours.
Feb 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM

If you're looking to avoid driving in the Paris traffic, I guess you could train to Auxerre and rent a car there. Weekly rental from Auxerre and return to same location is under 350 euro, including R/T trains.
Feb 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM

I cannot stress too strongly how criminally insane it for someone to get off an overnight flight, then deal with traffic around the Paris agglomeration.

You might be relaxed about how many people you'll kill in "only" 3 hours. But PLEASE publish your travel dates so the rest of us can make sure our lives aren't endangered by your stupidity

Better yet: stay home.
Feb 9th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Dear Flanneruk:
1) The reason for my question, as you see above, is that I am curious whether picking our car up at Orly helps deal with the "traffic around the Paris agglomeration", as you put it.
2) It's hard to imagine that you or others reading these fora have never driven a bit on the first day after arriving. We have done it often. Never driven to Bath from Heathrow?
3) I find your tone surprising. On the Rick Steves travelers' helpline, there are standards that specifically are meant to avoid "harsh criticism". The reason I solicited opinions on adding extra time to avoid driving from CDG to the A6 was to get constructive suggestions.
4) We are neither homicidal nor suicidal. And we are experienced drivers in Europe -- including the Amalfi Coast, the Turkish Western coast, and all over the UK, Italy and France.
Have a nice day.
Feb 9th, 2011, 06:55 AM

I am one of the people who can drive after a transatlantic flight. Those of us who do such things know what we are capable of, just as those of you who feel unable to drive use other solutions.
Feb 9th, 2011, 07:42 AM

<>

OK m34aggie, an admission. I tried once to drive away from CDG after an all night flight. I was driving towards Normandy. After about 2 hours at the wheel I dozed off and almost crashed. Luckily, I am here to say no harm done except to expose my lack of common sense.

Accidents can happen to anyone at anytime. Exercising good judgment means that you maintain, while drive, the highest margins of safety that you possible can. You probably wouldn´t make Vezelay in 3 hours given the Parisian traffic at that time in the morning. It doesn´t matter how many times you have successfully done this, knowing the risks in advance and accepting lower margins of safety for a drive of that duration is simply not defensive driving. In fact there are many, including myself, who consider it reckless.
Feb 9th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Good advice from all. Thanks.