Help for logistics to Reims/Champagne from CDG

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helping friends plan trip to France: upon arrival at CDG, they want to go to Reims/Epernay; from there drive over to Normandy, and last back to Paris, this all in about 2 weeks. They do not want to drive in or out of Paris. At first they planned to take the train from Gare L'Est to Reims, but in looking at the map, would it be faster and/or easier to rent the car right from CDG and drive directly to Reims? By train seems they'd have to take the RER B to Gare du Nord, switch to L'Est to Reims, where they were originally planning on picking up the rental. Driving from Reims to Caen/Bayeux looks like a 4-hour drive; they'll base there and then perhaps leave the rental in Caen, and grab a train back into Paris. Am I missing easier logistics somewhere? They will remain in Paris until their return out of CDG. Thanks, Francophiles.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 01:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Clearly some sort of phobia is affecting this trip. Do they think that people drive differently in Paris than in other cities in France?

It would be extremely simple to take the RER from CDG to Paris-Nord and then walk to or take the metro one station to Paris-Est to get the train to Reims. Any other way would be pure masochism.

For driving itineraries and times, you should be looking at www.viamichelin.com for the driving requirements and costs.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

So, you are suggesting getting to Reims by train and renting a car there rather than drive from CDG? Yes, I have the Via Michelin app and they will be downloading it too. Curious, why would renting a car from CDG be "pure masochism" -- it seems it could save a couple hours. And dumping their carryon (they too travel lightly) right into the trunk rather than onto and off RER B, then Gare du Nord and then Gare L'Est seems rather efficient. And whatever do you mean by "driving requirements" other than cost of rental and perhaps tolls on the A-roads? Thanks, kerouac.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 02:13 PM

Our first stop on our France trip last year was Epernay. I looked at all the options & chose to rent a car at CDG & drive. This was immediately after a flight from San Francisco.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 02:27 PM

If they want to go to Reims on the train from CDG without going to Paris, they can take the train direct from CDG to Champagne-Ardenne and then change to a train to Reims.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 02:54 PM

Where are the friends coming from ?
Taking a car after a long flight is a sure recipy for car crash.
Whilst trains are confortable, fast, relaxing and cheap.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 03:12 PM

>>Taking a car after a long flight is a sure recipy for car crash.<<

Somehow we survived last September!!!

It's only a 1 3/4 hr drive. If the TGV schedule to the Champagne region left about 45 mins later, we would have taken it.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, they'll be flying from the east coast out of EWR; agree, think driving from CDG would be fastest way but will check out schedule of trains from CDG into Champagne-Ardenne too. Would expect they'd arrive CDG early morning and could be on their way within 2 hours. Stu, they wish to see a few champagne houses, the Musee Reddition in Reims, the cathedral, and Dom Perignon at Hautvillers. We did this area several years ago, not sure DomP is still offering tours -- regardless, would 2 nights suffice? Then they would drive toward Normandy. Thank you all.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 05:06 PM

IMO, the town of Reims itself is worth a half-day just to visit the non-champagne stuff. We also visited Epernay and Chalons en Champagne - but were underwhelmed by these latter two. With 2 nights, you really only have 1 full day there, if you leave somewhat early in the day for Normandy. We never visit wineries or champagne places (40 years living near Napa/Sonoma) so I don't know how much time that would consume. On arrival day, we always add 1 night to recover from jet lag, get oriented, etc. We were there for 3 nights - but we did not visit any wineries and we toured Reims on a prior trip a couple of years earlier. So I would recommend 3 nights.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 05:18 PM

aliced, the train from CDG is super fast (I think it is under 40 minutes) but of course the schedule has to jive, etc. Then there is the change to the milk train to Reims. If the planets align I think it would be faster than driving.
Old Mar 12th, 2016, 03:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Epernay is a nice little town. The lack of main sites is made up by the Avenue de C. Rheims has an old roman forum (now built on) some bits of old wall, a Carnegie library, a fine catherdral and yet more wine houses.

Both have rivers and canals. The train/walk between the town is over the Montagne de Rheims (it takes about 4 hours walking) or I guess you could use a car. Nothing much on the "hill" apart from some great views and some odd trees.