How long in Rome??

Jan 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

How long in Rome??

I am planning on going on a cruise that leaves from near Rome. Never been to Rome before and wonder if 4 days is to long for my precruise visit.

Also is it safe for a single woman to walk around Rome?
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM

"Also is it safe for a single woman to walk around Rome?"

I would say yes in general. However, I do not feel safe at all walking around the streets near Termini train station area at night.
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:09 PM

For me a lifetime wouldn't be long enough in Rome. But four days sounds nice.

I have never felt uncomfortable walking around the tourist areas.
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Agree with both of the posters above, a lifetime wouldn't be long enough, and generally it is very safe for women alone, just use the same degree of common sense you'd use in any large urban setting.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Four days is definitely not too long! You'll barely scratch the surface. And I've walked all over by myself with no problem. I never felt unsafe.
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Hi,

I did the same thing for my May/June honeymoon. Flew to rome, stayed at the Hotel Hassler atop the spanish steps for 4 glorious nights. I saw many wonderful sites and feel that 4 nights could be enough, though you'll wnat to go back, as do I. I took a 10 day cruise from Citavecchia as well.

Any questions, let me know!
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM

4 days will be a good start...definately not too long. On my first trip to Rome I was alone and did not feel unsafe walking around. I agree that the area near the Termini is rather creepy at night so I would likely stay clear of there.
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM

I agree with the poster about the Termini neighborhood. While it seems very safe by day, by night the streets seem pretty deserted. Next time I will stay further west, maybe in the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area.
Jan 9th, 2007, 01:39 PM
nbujic

I agree .
I was alone in Rome several years ago and changed hotels from Termini area to the Spansih steps.

Jan 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Four days is by no means too long. Unlike some posters here, I was not drawn to Rome, BUT..having said that, I am fascinated by it's history. I was there for three days..my first trip to Europe and with a tour...I saw a lot, but not nearly enough and I wish I had had at least three more days there. I would have liked to have had more time and to have seen more and I wish it even more since I'm not real likely to get back there. It's an amazing city, and by the way, don't know if you have the time or are interested, but one of my favorite places to see was Hadrians Villa. Just a beautiful place to see and enough of it left to imagine what it was like in it's "hay day". Twas good to be the king.
Jan 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM

I must agree with Leely..our first trip to Italy was for 3 loosely planned weeks and we never left Rome...and have made many trips back since then. I've never felt unsafe in most areas, but never have been out and about near Termini at night.