Rome -Safe for solo female traveller ?

Aug 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Rome -Safe for solo female traveller ?

Hi ,

I will be visiting Rome for the first time in the end of August.

Is it safe to use the public transport or walk around Rome by myself during daytime ( I usually try to avoid going out at night when I'm traveling by myself and I use money-belt)?

I read in some of the internet sites that there is moderate crime rate in Rome - pickpockets , robberies (not sure whether it's exaggerated). A little bit hesitant now but I'm very interested to see all the famous sites in Rome.

I am fairly alert and I have traveled by myself to some other cities in Europe such as Lisbon, London, Paris and Berlin and it was all good.
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
J62

Rome is a bustling metropolis with people from all over. Neither I nor my wife or daughters ever felt uncomfortable anywhere in Rome, from dawn to late after dinner strolls down relatively quiet streets.

This includes crowded buses, busy piazze, and deserted overlooks (near the Forum)

Aug 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

by the way initially i booked for a hostel near Termini station, then I found that thats not a very good place to stay in Rome. I've changed it to Piazza Bologna as read in the reviews that the place is pretty okay.
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM

I have visited many cities as a solo female traveller and always use good sense and take basic precautions. I stay in good, safe areas in good, clean, staffed hotels.

I am a morning runner so am out and about alone as soon as its light enough to do so. And I love to walk the streets of big cities at night. Again, use common sense, stick to well lit streets, etc.

As for public transport, I use the metro in Rome but not alone very late at night (they stop pretty early compared to Manhattan) but prefer to be in my own "neighborhood" when it is getting late.

You are experienced in big city travel and Rome is no different. I had bad experiences in Paris personally but have always been ok in Rome.
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM

It's good not to be by Termini, not so much because it's unsafe but because it's a bit seedy in some areas and not as well located for seeing what you want to see. South of the train station would be one of the few areas you would want to avoid, but you have no reason to go there. Where is Piazza Bologna? I see there is a Via d. Bologna in Trastavere. Is that what you mean?

In the last two years, I've been fortunate enough to spend 30 days in Rome (over 4 trips) and never felt unsafe or threatened. Of course, you want to be alert and aware of your surroundings as you would in any big city.

I hope you won't let unfounded fear keep you from going out at night. Rome is so beautiful at night, and in the center of the city, there are lots of people out very late.
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM

Forgot to mention that I've never taken the Metro but have had no problems on the bus. Naturally, you do want to watch your purse on a crowded bus.
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM

I had no trouble whatsoever being a solo female traveller in Rome. I even walked around all alone at night. Nobody took any notice of me (or perhaps that's a bad thing lol).
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
LJ

As a solo female traveller whose preferred Rome hotel is in the "dreaded" Termini area (way less problematical than most suggest), I would just add that you should not feel uncomfortable in any way. Be informed and aware when you go out at night, but don't stay in after dark. And in the daytime there is literally no place you can wander that will put you in danger if you are an intelligent and aware woman (and what other kind could you be if you are posting here!?!)
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks heaps for the advices. I'm much more confident to visit the eternal city.

I've looked up the map, Bologna square is North East of Termini ( 4 metro stops away), on the intersections of Via 21 Aprile and Via delle Province. It's a residential area i think. there's a bus stop and a metro station nearby. I'll probably use the buses.
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM
LJ

Oh, well, then you will be just fine-you are up near the university with all the inexpensive restaurants and lively atmosphere that implies. Have a wonderful trip!
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM

I have to disagree with LJ. If at all possible, I highly recommend that you change your hotel to something closer to the center of Rome, preferably near Piazza Navona, the Pantheon or Campo de' Fiori. Bologna Sqaure is a LONG way from everything you will want to see, especially on a first visit. It's not even on my Streetwise Rome Map. You will spend way too much time getting anywhere.
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM

I agree with Susan regarding your location.

I don't know where you live (US?) or if you have ever traveled to the US, but I feel safer in Rome (anywhere in Europe/UK) than in the US (I am born, raised, have always & still live in US). Maybe it happens, (if so, I bet only rarely) but I don't think Italy has a lot of gun violence, murders, carjacking, kidnapping women & children & killing and/or raping them, robbing at gun point, mass shootings, etc.

Sorry, love my country, but sadly it is a violent country.

Julie
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM

Agree with Susan and Julie about the location. I dislike the area around Termini and there are far more charmimg and interesting areas to stay.
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM

Four Metro stops away from Termini is not near Termini. But it's a long way out. I agree with those who suggest the general area of the Pantheon, Campo de Fiori and Piazza Navona. Or simply put, the roughly triangular area between the Via del Corso and the curve in the Tiber.
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM

I was alone in Rome for a week in May. No problems whatsover, never felt unsafe. Did not like the area around Termini, especially the hustling cabdrivers and the gypsie that use their babies and children as distractions.

I would re-think the area in which you stay, in my opinion Campo di Fioro or Piazza Navonna are much better choices.
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM

Have spent several days in alone in Rome pre or post business trips.

Have never been hesitant to go anywhere - or felt unsafe day or evening (after dinner - til 10 or so - didn;t go out much later than that).

But - I have never taken the subway or bus - I either walk (usually, since I'm a New Yorker I'm used to a lot of walking) or cab. And, I always stay in a large full-service hotel (same as for business part of the trip) not a pension or similar.

Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

yea the place is at the edge of the city, probably not a very strategic location. Is there any budget hotels in the triangular area?

I grew up in Kuala Lumpur ( not a very safe city in Malaysia) and have been studying for a few years in Melbourne, Australia ( a very safe place). I find that most European cities are pretty safe. But I have not been to Italy so I'm not too sure how it's like over there.

Thanks a lot for all the helpful suggestions. Can't wait to go. =)
Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:28 AM

Go to venere.com and pull up the map of Rome. It will show you all available accomocdations in your price range along with ratings and user reviews.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:34 AM

Yes - I have done it myself & never felt unsafe.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:49 AM

I traveled solo to Italy last year and thoroughly enjoyed myself everywhere I went. I spent five days in Rome and never felt unsafe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO