Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get to Venice airport

Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Hello, I have found a cheap flight from Venice to Munich. The problem is that it leaves at 8:15. Having never been to Venice I don't know how much time it will take to get from the Rialto Bridge approx. where the hotel is located to the airport by vaporatto, and what time do they start running? Also I could take the expensive water taxi if need be. How long would that take? Thank you for all your help in advance. This came up at last minute. I would want to go to the venice airport not the one in treviso.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:14 PM

Go to the website for "Alilaguna." This is a private water bus that goes directly to the airport. Some of the lines are express (about one hour, 25E) and some make a few stops (75 minutes, 12E.)

I took it last week, it is a scenic ride. From the dock it takes approx 15-20 minutes to disembark and walk to the airport terminal (depending on how many people are trying to get off and retrieve luggage.)
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM

thanx for this info!!!! this is something i hadn't thought about yet....we will need to go from the san marco area to the airport for a 10 am flight and were just going to ask the hotel about it but this looks good!
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM

the buses from Piazzale Roma run frequently and pretty fast - we've always used them, tho it means you have to stay within walk of the bus (which weve done on a number of visits or get up early and catch a fast boat to P.le roma - not the Grand Canal slowpoke.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM

We did this last fall from the Rialto area as well. We opted for the vaporetto to the bus at Piazelle Roma. The vaporetto runs early but not always at the same frequency as during peak hours, a table is usually posted at each stop so you can check in the days before you actually would have to use it. We also found the buses ran behind schedule, luckily we had allowed plenty of time and it was not an issue. We were traveling on Sunday too which affected the schedules, even so we made it fine.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM

From Rialto, I agree to take the bus from Piazzale Roma.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM

If you are in the Rialto area, staying up through San Polo, and Santa Croce, I would advise taking the bus at Piazzale Roma-it's very quick and easy. You take the vaporetto from Rialto to Pze. Roma, roll your luggage off, and the buses to the airport are right there waiting.

If staying down in Castello, or in and around Piazza San Marco or Fondamenta Nuove in Cannaregio, I would advise taking the Alilaguna boat to the airport dock.

As far as walking from the airport to the dock-I think it takes about 8-10 minutes-I did this the last time in March, and it seemed to take no time at all, definitely not 20 minutes!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:55 AM

Yes, it takes 8-10 minutes to walk from the Alilaguna dock to the terminal. But it can also take 8-10 minutes to disembark and grab luggage if the Alilaguna is full and you are sitting in the front. That is why I advised approx 15-20 minutes for the process of disembarking and then walking to terminal.
Jun 4th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the information!
Jun 4th, 2007, 05:43 AM

20 minutes from Rialto Bridge for about $60 + tip. 15 minutes for a long walk to terminal, or longer if you have heavy luggage, but there is a shuttle bus.
Jun 4th, 2007, 07:01 AM

If you can afford it, the best way is by water taxi. About 30 minutes. It not only gets you to (or from) the airport, but it's a fun ride as well.