Scottish Itinerary Planning Help Wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are landing in Edinburg around 1030am on September 4th. We are renting a car. We need to be back in Edinburg by 3 pm September 7th. Is there enough time to visit the Isle of Skye in between? How would we o it considering the distance and weather conditions that time of year?
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No "weather conditions" to worry about much. September is a lovely time to visit Scotland.

The short answer is yes, you do have time to go to Skye and back. But is there a burning reason you want to go there? There are a lot of fabulous parts of Scptland a lot closer to Edinburgh.

Also, are you flying in from overseas? If so you will probably be too jet lagged to drive very far (or at all) your first day.

If you are set on going to Skye here are two ways you could do it:

1) drive the short distance to near Stirling on sept 4. You can visit Stirling Castle, Inchmahome Priory, maybe Doune Castle and see some really pretty scenery. I'd stay near Callander. The morning of the 5th drive through Glencoe and Glenfinnan to Mallaig and take the ferry to Skye - you could be on Skye by late afternoon if you stop along the way. Saty the nights of sept 5 and 6 on Skye and early in the a.m. on the 7th leave for Edinburgh. It will be a long drive but doable.

2) (and my prefered choice w/ so little time). Do not rent a car when you arrive in EDI. Take the train from Edinburgh directly to Mallaig and the ferry to Skye. Then on Skye you can rent a car locally or use the buses. You would be on Skye on the 4th and can spen all three days there before taking the train back to Edinburgh.
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj. No real burning reason to go to Skye. We heard a lot about it. What is nice closer?
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Got to Highland Perthshire- Loch tay; Glen Lyon, Glen Shee, Loch Tummel, Loch Earn, Ben Vorlich, Schiehallion, Dunkeld, Aberfeldy, Pitlochry, Ben Lawers.

Have a ball, and don't knock yourselves out driving.
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM

All of the areas sheila mentions are not far north of Stirling so you could easily base yourselves for 3 days somewhere in the middle and see tons of wonderful scenery, lochs, castles, etc. w/o driving for hours each day.

Skye is wonderful - but it is a looooooong way from Edinburgh and you'd really only have 2 free days . . . .
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM

whoa! I just noticed your other thread. OK - you need to tell us a bit more about your itinerary before naayone can give useful advice.

This thread made it seem that you have only these 3 days outside of Edinburgh. Now I see you are also staying 2 nights in Oban. Tell us what the rest of your plans are - it may be that you are to-ing and fro-ing all over the place and could use some help . . . .
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM

naayone?? what the heck was that??

"anyone . . . ."
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Thought you were lapsing into dialect there...
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. Just to clear the air, we only have 2.5 days outside of Edinburg. We have not finalized the Manor yet but asked for prices. We thought if we drove there and went through The Trossachs and Loch Lommand and got to Oban stayed there as a base and then the next day go to Glencoe and Fort William.

We see what Sheila is saying. Sheila we read a number of threads on Trip Advisor that rave about The Manor and the 5 course dinner.

We are not into taking "ferries" and we are not into super windy roads either.

Then after this we spend 4 nights in Edinburg and 4 nights in London England.

So there is the itinerary everyone. Let us know your thoughts.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:11 AM

I think you need to pick a base somewhere within a relatively few driving hours of Edinburgh and use it to strike out from.

My Highland Perthsire one work. As does Oban. As would a number of others.

What is it you would like to experience?
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Sheila, scenic landscapes, quaint villages. Not big into touring castles or cathedrals. Decent lunches and dinners. Also, we prefer staying in top notch hotels or b&bs regardless of price. If we do the itinerary you suggested any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Having caught up with both posts, I would suggest staying somewhere in the Trossachs, possibly Callander or Aberfoyle. Ive always enjoyed the Manor House, but if you're not interested in taking ferries,there are other places that would better suit your interests and timetable and that are every bit as nice as the Manor.

From Edinburgh you could stop at the Falkirk Wheel.

From the Trossachs you have easy trips to Stirling,Dunblane,Inchmahome Priory,a drive over Duke's Pass,Loch Lomond and Loch Katrine.

You could also head up to A82 stopping at Killin and Dochart Falls. Continue through the Pass of Brander and make the loop (A85 to A828,A82) around to Ballachulish and Glen Coe and back down to the A 85.You can stop at Kilchum Castle and Dunstaffnage Castle along the way. You would probaly have time for a short cruise up Loch Etive.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

History Traveller, do you have any places to stay that you recommend in The Trossachs or Callender?
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Guess I was posting at the same time. For an excellent place to stay in Callander, try the Roman Camp Country House Hotel.Or on Loch Tay (a bit farther north) The Ardeonaig Hotel.

Minus the castle vists that I mentioned, the area meets your scenic requirements.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM

here are the websites

www.ardeonaighotel.co.uk

www.roman-camp-hotel.co.uk
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:05 AM

The Roman Camp would be <u>terrific</u> if it fits in your budget . . . .

From there it would be easy to see all the Trossachs scenery, Loch Lomond, and the places sheila mentioned before. Have the hotel pack you a picnic and take it out to Inchmahome priory on an island in the Lake of Menteith.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I was going to suggest the Ardeonaig; or, if you want to go further west the Ardanaiseig. Or the Port Appin hotel. Or Kinnaird House at Dunkeld.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM
GBC

To Byron1 - You're getting great advice here. I don't know that area as well as the above posters but I think you are going to be happy and that these are very good options.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone ever stayed or heard anything about the Monachyle Manor Hotel? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM

it is the Monachyle Mohr Hotel - no I haven't stayed there but have seen it when driving up the glen to Balquhidder churchyard where Ron Roy is buried.

I've heard it is VERY nice. However - you did indicate you were interested in villages and such. This hotel is not in or near any villages - it is about 6 or 7 miles up a single track and probably 15 - 20 miles from the nearest villages (Killin 15 miles in one directionn and Callander about 20 miles in the other)

IMHO, it would be a great &quot;destination&quot; hotel - but maybe not so great as a touring base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -