Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How is the drive from Lisbon to the eastern Algarve ? (Tivara)

Jul 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello!

Would like to know what the drive is like from the Lisbon airport to the Algarve (Tivara to be exact)? We've been told it is about 300 km and is mainly on the motorway. Is it a fairly decent drive?

Thank you.

STW
Jul 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM

We drove from the Lisbon airport to Salema (a little bit west of Tavira) on the toll highway - it took us about 3 1/2 hours and it was a super easy drive. The road is in excellent condition and it looks very new - I even found the rest stops to be very nice and modern. Our toll cost us about 18 euros - definitely our most expensive toll while driving in Portugal. The highway also has tons of signs - you shouldn't have any problems navigating. Nothing to worry about!
Jul 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you bailey.

I also forgot to add...

Is there train service from Lisbon (airport) to the Algarve? If so, what would the nearest drop off point be to Tavira? Thanks.
Jul 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I'm not sure about train service, since we obviously had a rental car. At first, I had planned for us to use public transportation for our entire trip and I know that there was bus service to Tavira. From what I've read, bus service seems to be better than the train. Maybe this website can be some use to you:
www.cp.pt
Jul 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Bailey. We just returned from Portugal -- we flew there from England. However, we would like to fly direct from NYC to Lisbon and would again rent our own car and drive. The train info would be for family and others who might not want a car -- just wanted to check and see if there was another option available for transportation.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see what I can find.
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Here is one more thought... I have found that adding the flight down to Faro (the airport in the southern part of Portugal very near Tavira) when you book your transatlantic portion, does not cost that much extra. TAP air Portugal partners with some US airlines...check first. Saves the driving while jet-lagged. There are plenty of car rental agencies at Faro airport.
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

I should clarify, lowcountrycarol...

Portugal was the second leg of our trip (which originated from NYC). We flew into Faro from Stansted, England (EasyJet). We would like to fly direct from the U.S. to Portugal (Lisbon) - Too bad Faro cannot accomodate us. Thanks though.
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:38 PM

seetheworld.
US Airways had some decent fares from Philadelphia to Lisbon direct for some good rates.
Don't know if it would be a hasstle for you to depart from NYC. But maybe your fares are less expensive.

Have you rented a car yet?
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sher. Yes, the car rental worked out just fine. I will post the information (price, etc.) on my other thread. We ended up with a Passat, which my husband loved (since he drives one at home).

It is best for us to depart from NYC. We are considering an investment property in the Algarve and would like to figure out the most convenient (and economical) way for us to fly directly to Portugal from the U.S.
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Please post when you return.

We are only going to see a very little of the Algarve even on this trip.

Must save that area for the next time, I guess.

Did you find a hotel in Lisbon?

We are staying at the apartment a la Namaka and Sarasara.