Notices

Faro Airport to Lagos

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
wug
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Faro Airport to Lagos

Well, we found one of those incredible fares on Ryan Air so we are going to now fly from Porto to Faro, rather than take the train. We will be staying in Lagos for four days so we are needing to get to Lagos from the Faro airport.

We are thinking of renting a car from the airport at Faro and driving, then keeping the car for the entire four days. Does that make the most sense? Will we run into crazy tolls from Faro to Lagos?

Thanks so much for the help.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:26 AM
wug
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Algarvisimo, thank you for the toll information. We would be leaving the car at the Lagos train station, or perhaps driving it to Lisbon and leaving it there, but that seems to add a lot of expense.

After Lagos, we are going to Lisbon (probably by train) and will be staying there for a few days before ending out vacation.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, see if you want to catch the bus from Lagos to Lisbon. Train would be a slow regional train to Tunes, then a normal one up to Lisbon. Bus would go Lagos - Lisbon without changing.
(Depends if you like to sit on a bus for 4-5 hours)
Check out www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx for ticket and time table info.
There is also a bus info office across the Lagos Marina, which might have more buses to Lisbon.
Try to get up to Aljezur´s beaches if you have a car, it´s worth it.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also agree that renting a car is the way to go. With four days based in Lagos, and the short distances in the Algarve, you can really see a lot of beautiful places. I now have some first hand experience with those electronic tolls. We were in northern Portugal for a four day trip and were able to pay our tolls in a post office near our Lisbon hotel with no problem. In addition to the tolls, the bill also adds on taxes, both IVA (the value added tax) AND an additional tax if you don´t have a Portuguese tax ID number. These tolls are pretty steep but make driving so much easier.

BTW, I´m not exactly sure about the amount of the IVA added to the toll charge because I didn´t do the math, but our Portuguese friends tell us that the general IVA on consumer goods was raised a LOT as part of the austerity measures and is now a whopping 23%.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving to Faro airport today, I thought about this post and wanted to ad the possibility of driving the N125 (National road) from Faro to Lagos, which is toll free. But, because it is toll free, it is very busy.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think we will have any problem paying the electronic toll bill while in Algarve because we can pay them within the 5-day period.

What we will have a problem with is paying the toll on the day of our departure, driving from Ponte de Lima to Oporto airport using the A41/IC24 road. Any suggestion how to pay for this??

Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM
wug
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the info everyone. We are definitely renting a car from the airport and driving to Lagos. We are thinking about keeping the car and driving to Lisbon, rather than taking a bus. The car is only about $15 more to drop at the Lisbon airport vs. dropping in Lagos. I figure this way we can take our time and maybe do some short stops along the way.

Can anyone tell me if there are massive tolls along the way from Lagos to Lisbon? Also, I assume we will be able to pay the toll once we arrive in Lisbon. Is there a place at the airport, or will there be something we can take with us, after we drop off the car and then be able to pay at a post office in Lisbon? We will be in Lisbon for three days but won't have a car then.

Thanks for all the help.
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again. Try to drive the N120 from Lagos up to Sines and get onto the toll highway at Grandola. It is a nice drive through the Portuguese country up to Sines (nice beaches aswell) and the highway toll from Grandola to Lisbon is around 7€ (not including the April 25. bridge - 1.50€)
Doing this trip many times a year. The toll is payed when leaving the highway.
The no-toll booth highways can be payed at the CTT (post offices) or the so called Pay Shops (red sign and mostly news and tobacco stores) 2 days after using the toll road.
Wishing you a great time in a beautiful country......
PS: following is a link to Michelin toll and petrol calculator
http://www.viamichelin.com/
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM
wug
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you again algarvissimo. You have been such an awesome help! I can't wait to visit your beautiful country. It'll be my first time but it's been on my list of places I wanted to visit for many many years.