Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how important is knowing the language in praha

May 12th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

just wondering how important it is to know the language while visiting the czech? any recommendations for good places to stay in praha or in the czech....
May 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM

English is very widely spoken in Prague - certainly in hotels, restaurants, shops - anyplace in the tourist infrastructure.

What budget for hotel?
May 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I could barely pronounce "thank you" and that was it when I went in 1999 to Prague. Just about everyone spoke English. I don't think you'll have a problem in Prague but may have more of an issue in smaller towns.
May 12th, 2005, 10:47 AM

I agree with the above. English is widely spoken in Prague. Most of the restaurants have their menu translated in different languages including english; however, we did run into a few where it was only translated into russian.
May 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replys...
as far as a budget for hotels, nytraveler, i am looking for some cheap hostels as well as some affordable one star hotels. thanks
May 12th, 2005, 01:18 PM

It isn't important at all in terms of being able to do things and getting by, especially in Prague. I did study for a while and knew how to make a few sentences and read some words, and that did enhance my trips in some ways, but it's not necessary.

It mainly was useful when I was in smaller towns where folks don't speak English as much, or dealing with clerks in neighborhood stores even in PRague, or when I got lost once out in the burbs, etc. It was also useful when I was traveling by train alone and had to transfer and stayed overnight one place, as I could figure out the signs and everything in the station and knew when the train had switched tracks unexpectedly from an announcement, things like that.

But, you should have no problems to worry about it.
May 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks christina...any good advice on hostels in and out of town?
May 13th, 2005, 07:48 AM
MaureenB

Try http://www.livingprague.com/
It's a website by a Prague local with lots of good tips on lodging, etc., including hostels and small pensions.

May 13th, 2005, 10:03 AM

hi, jillyc. I have heard of a decent one in Olomouc, but the Czech Republic is huge, so you need to say what cities or towns you need accommodation in, other than Prague for best advice.

I haven't stayed in hostels, so don't have any personal experience, so probably would suggest you look at some of the great websites for this information which have listings and personal comments/reviews. Do you know of them? I think www.hostels.com is one of the best, and www.eurotrip.com

IN Prague, I stayed right around the corner from one (Travellers hostel on Dlouha). It is a great location, but looked real dumpy from the outside. It might be better inside and it sure is popular. Its ratings are fairly good on hostels.com (70% with is about the high mark -- look for better), but it is right above the Roxy, a noisy club. If you like that idea, okay, but if not, I'd stay elsewhere as I think it would be real noisy.

I do know the Pension Unitas is a great central location and good quality. www.unitas.cz