General Question about Czech Republic

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult is it getting around the country knowing only English? We've spent time in Germany, Austria, France, etc., with few problems - we want to stay not only in Prague but also a few smaller cities. Thanks for your help.

PS Also planning on going into Poland and perhaps Slovokia
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to help. We (in our 60's) had no problem at all in Czech or Slovak Reps, Hungary, Poland. Small towns or large. Maybe the hardest was in Slovakia. But then, we prepared a bit.

Three tips:
1. Make a sheet of paper (or 3X5 cards) with a few phrases of Polish words (likewise Czech/Slovak) written phonetically so YOU can pronounce them. There are websites where you can see the spelling and hear the pronunci-ation of each language. This will be very helpful, as well as conveying to the locals that at least you're trying.
2. Try to ask questions of "people under 30 carrying a briefcase". Those over 50 probably learned Russian in school. The young ones have probably learned English, and would relish a chance to use it.
3. The local tourist information office, usually found on the town square in the center of town, is a great resource.
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM

Smaller towns will be harder (if they are touristy towns it will fine), but the advice to find younger people to speak with is good. 35 & younger are the best bet. There are many signs in English, and if you carry a small guidebook with handy terms, you should be set. Prague is no problem.
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM

When we were in Prague this Christmas, I read in a slick English/Czech magazine that English instruction was recently made mandatory in Czech schools. According to the article, the teachers are mostly the teachers of the formerly-mandatory Russian. Regardless of the official situation, we found English to be universally spoken - and spoken very well - in Prague. In fact, it was almost disappointing. But we did not travel to other parts of the Czech Republic.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:19 AM

I found in parts other than Prague, English is not really as widely spoken as in Western Europe, unless you go only to "touristic places." If you know any German, that can be a help, but English is probably just as widely spoken.

You will get by just fine without knowing the language though. I found the people very friendly. I would go to the deli and just point and make hand signals and it was fine. Additionally you can normally find ONE person that will help you.

As in any country, it is nice to learn please, thank you, excuse me, etc. But better, in the CR, sometime that will be enough to excite people that you are making an effort (since very few do). My first word, and trust me I used it a lot, pivo-beer.

A lot of the niceties are the same in Slovak and similar in Polish.

You will have a great time, it is a great region!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:19 AM

I've got to pass on this anecdote to alleviate your misgivings.
We're in Bardejov, Slovakia 3 years ago, walking thru a park to get to an attraction elsewhere. Seeing a nice planting of flowers similar to what one would see in a US park (striking because the floral business in this developing country isn't as ...developed as in the US), I walked up to 2 babushka-ladies and said, "What is the name" in Slovak, from my 3 X 5 card. She smiled (probably at my mis-pronunciation) and said, "Pee--too--nee-yaa".
Another time, driving from Cesky Krumlov to Kutna Hora, we got lost, and stopped the car next to a woman with 2 school-age kids. I asked if she spoke English, and they all looked quizzical. I asked,"Sprechen zie Deutsch?", the same. So I pantomined, held out our map, shrugged my shoulders, and said "Kutna Hora". She nodded understanding, pointed to a corner a block away, then signaled a right turn. Off we wwnt to Kutna Hora!
They're very helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:10 PM

hey tomboy, would you mind telling me some of the better translation/phonetic websites you came across? i'm going to czech republic/poland/germany and don't do so well with languages.

thanks in advance!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:56 PM

I worked it up in a two step process.
1. Got a book for the language from public library, made a list of the phrases I wanted to be able to say (wkipping the ones about trains, for example)
2. Went to websites to get a feeling for how to pronounce them.
----a, Czech http://www.locallingo.com/
****b.several http://www.single-serving.com/index.php
****c. Polish--never found one, but in Krakow it was unnecessry
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM

On our trip to the Czech Republic we went about as far into the sticks as you can get. The opposite corner of the country from Prague into a town of a few hundred people. They spoke about as much English as I did Czech, 20 or so words. We had a phrase book and a menu book (vital) but more importantly I think we were armed with respect and smiles.

Ordering at the restaurants was an adventure if you wanted it to be. Many times I would point to our server, shrug my shoulders and then make a general circling motion over the listek (menu) and ask "Dobre?" (good?) They would invariably smile when they realized I wanted their recommendation. Best of all I was never disappointed with their selection. Usually everyone else was trying to get a taste from my plate because it looked so good.

I would say go for it. Learn the plesantries and few other words and you'll do fine.

Cheers, the turnip