Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far is Via Veneto from the Spanish Steps?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
My brother is planning a trip to Rome. He has discovered a deal through Travelzoo for the Hotel Oxford, which is said to be in Via Veneto. Is this a good central location for him to stay for a weeks vacation in Rome?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:53 PM
mjs

The Via Veneto is a decent central location for Rome. The road runs from the Tritone fountain to the Borghese gardens. The hotel Oxford is I believe, not on the Via Veneto but closer to the P. Fiume. Walk to the Spanish steps would be 15 to 20 minutes through the ped tunnel at the top of the Via Veneto.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

mjs, thanks for your response.

Are you familiar with the Hotel Oxford? Is it a decent hotel? Where would you say is the best place to stay for a first trip to Rome? Is the Spanish Steps the most central location?

Thanks so much for your advice.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:18 AM

We stayed at the Oxford in 2000, nice place, clean, all the usual amenities. There are quite a few good restaurants very close and the Borghese gardens are very close. The walk to Via Venezia is about 5 to 10 minutes. It is probably a bit too far from the centre unless your a keen walker, though the metro station at Via Venezia is close. Next time we will look at somewhere closer to the Spanish steps.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed at a different hotel near the Piazza Fiume the first time I went to Rome. There were lots of good restaurants and shopping in the neighborhood, and it was not at all touristy. Very close to the Villa Borghese. We did end up taking the bus to most sights, however.

More central accommodations would probably mean fewer bus rides. The second time I went to Rome I opted to stay closer to the center of things, in an apartment near the Trevi Fountain. Many here recommend the area around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona as the most central area.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help!

I really love the information available on this board and the nice people that take the time to respond to questions posted. My brother had two tour books open, looking at maps, trying to figure out the different locations but there is nothing like first hand information from impartial people.

Given the info, I think he should try to find a hotel a little closer to the sights but it's nice to know that the Oxford is a decent hotel in any case.

Many, many thanks!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I think the problem with the way this question was asked is that the Spanish Steps aren't necessarily what most people would consider "the center". While the Via Veneto isn't that far from the Spanish Steps, they are quite a walk from places like Navona, Fiori, the Vatican, and Trastevere.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, could you tell me what area would you consider to be the best location to see all the major sights? Where would you stay?
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:09 PM

I prefer close to Piazza Navona. I've stayed at the Hotel Raphael and loved it. I've also stayed at an apartment at Palazzo Olivia and liked it even better. Once I stayed near Trevi Fountain at Hotel Nationale, and once above the Spanish Steps at Hotel Internationale. I did not like either location nearly as well.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Patrick,
Thanks so much! I had been scanning previous posts and mistakenly thought that the Spanish Steps was the most central spot to the sights. I so appreciate you setting me straight and especially the hotel you suggested near Piazza Navona. I will pass the information on to my brother.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:39 PM

We will be in Rome in September and are staying at Hotel Oxford. We have 5 nights in Rome which we think is enough time and think that this Hotel is "close enough". We have never been to Italy before so make no mistakes, we are not experts. Usually when we travel we do so "3 star" even if we can afford more. We have been a little off the beaten track and as a result of this we have experienced some of our best moments. We are great walkers by the way and this time when we chose we particularly selected hotels a little out of the way. Maybe we are odd but anticipate that in some ways this might be more fun. I am glad that the Hotel Oxford is perceived as acceptable. We are really looking forward to our trip to Italy and absolutely love reading all the posts. I will admit to being a better reader than
writer. You guys are great. Keep all the great information coming.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:58 PM
mjs

I cannot comment on the Hotel Oxford as I have never seen it. Did stay nearby in an apartment a few years ago so I know about it in a vague manner.
Location is ok but certainly not as central as the P. Navona or Pantheon. I suspect the Hotel Oxford maybe a better deal than some more central hotels as it is in a less touristed area. If one were only in Rome for a few days I would pick a more central location but if you were to stay in Rome a week I do not think the location is bad. We walk alot, ocassionally take a taxi, and found the area quite decent for a week. Restaurants were very local in character which we like.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:05 AM

bargains,

The Piazza Navona, Pantheon, or Campo Dei Fior areas are the most central but you'll probably pay 15-20% more than you would for a comparable room in other areas of Rome.

FWIW, I think it's a good investment because of what you'll save in time and trasportation cost. The historical center is also just a nice place to BE in.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:48 AM

the hotel oxford is avery good 3 star hotel and we found it well positioned for our first trip to rome ,upmarket safe feeling area,good restaurants,and close to borghese gardens.
but the best place to stay we have found in subsequent visits is the campo de fiori area,a bit more expensive but very lively and the daily markets are fabulous.also why not try an apartment much better value and lots more space/freedom.try searching www.romesweethome.it or
www.romeby.com or
www.venere.com
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi b,

You can find a map of Rome and walking distances from your hotel at www.mappy.com.