Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spanish Steps or Piazza Navona Hotel Location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which area do you prefer for your hotel? And of course, why?

Thanks so much.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have, in the past stayed near the so-called Spanish Stairs. They don't do anything; they don't even move and in the past some of the stuff that went on there and near them would scare you to death. We were lectured about that part of town not being "the real Rome" but we stayed there anyway.

These days we usually stay in other areas like near the Pantheon (see your other thread) and the Navona has become very popular (some would say "touristy" thanks to that scoundrel Rick Steves).

The SS is fine IMO if the things nearby including that McDonald's and the Metro station and the high-end shopping appeal. Not sure there is a much cruising and drug dealing as there used to be and even when there was most people probably didn't even notice it (and as far as I know there weren't any murders, etc.).
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

The gentleman which whom I just spoke at Albergho del Senato told me he thinks Piazza Rotunda is even better than Piazza Navona

I'm sure I'll have a great time no matter where I stay but I particularly want this trip to be "perfect" because we are celebrating my parents' 70th birthdays AND my 11-year-old son's first trip to Europe. I'm willing to do a lot more research and pay a bit more than usual to make things extra memorable.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 07:59 AM

I absolutely understand your concerns and Rome has been a particularly "hard" place for us and we have hotel-bounced around that city over the past several years.

You can stay somewhere that's "quiet" like up near the Borgese (are you going there, btw?) but then you "get" to walk everywhere else or take a taxi. We've done that. Then we stayed on the Via Veneto and were laughed at by more than a few of the "experts" here who said we are elitists (yep, and rich ones, too; love throwing all my money around), and on and on.

My only advice would be to find somewhere <B>you enjoy coming back to</B>.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 08:05 AM

The last time we were in Rome, we stayed at a paceful little "boutiquey" place called the Modigiani, on Avenida Purificacion. Nowhere near as crowded or noisy as Navona, or a mixture of tacky and upscale as the area around Spanish Steps. Actually closer to the steps (uphill walk), but also not that far from Trevi, the Pantheon and Navona, one short block walk to Via Veneto. Rome is a walking city, hoof it and then you can assuage the inevitable guilt feeling when you overload on Italian calories!

We have since recommended Modigliani to several Fodorites and others (including family) all of whom seem to have loved it. The owners, a young couple of professionals, are obviously fans of Modigliani (the Jewish Italian artist who lived a short, tragic life in Livorno).

Excellent buffet breakfasts, elevators, rooftop views of the city, good sized rooms and en suite bathrooms. No longer traveling overseas, but Modigliani would be my stop in Rome again. Check it out.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Our first choice was the two bedroom two bathroom full breakfast deal at the Modigliani 972 euros for that apartment for all five of us for 4 nights. Bummed it was sold out .
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 08:26 AM

Zen:

so sorry you couldn't get in...maybe next time. It's a winner, IME.

http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 08:57 AM

How important is having a pool?
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 09:25 AM

It's Spanish Steps - not Spanish Stairs - and why would they move - they're hundreds of years old? This area is a well known hangout for teens/early 20s and has a lot of noise and the usual foo faw that would go with that. Its been that way for at least 20 years so don't know why people are surprised.

Navona is also very busy - but the crowd is more mixed/mature and I would definitely stay there or near the Pantheon. (And nothing to do with Steeves - again has always been one of the most popular parts of the city for tourists to meet, eat, shop etc.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We just spent 8 nights in apt on a street on the side of the Pantheon. Normally we like to stay abit away from the main tourist sites, but in this case, we liked it. The Piazza was quite crowded on a Sunday and moderately so on other days. We thought it a good location and a fun place to stay. I didn't care for the Piazza Navona as it seemed more crowded with one end of the Piazza full of the "artists" sitting with their easels. The Spanish Steps is and has been as described above.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much once again. I'm very involved in the food world, and really want to square away this pesky hotel reservation stuff so I can focus on the trattorias and gelaterias! The Important Stuff.

Right now I am considering:

The Albergho del Senato (and investigating the Albergho Santa Chiara which many have suggested is a better priced option also right by the Pantheon).

The Forum which has the apartment for all of us but is in a bit of a boring area.

And the Modigliani which sounds so quirky and warm and charming and is so so SO gently priced. Still so annoyed I missed out on their apartment which was the Steal of the Century!

I will make a decision by Monday.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 10:01 AM

We are staying in one of the apartments at the Modigliani in September at the beginning of our trip and at the end we have a suite at Torre Relais Argentina.

I've stayed in about eight different hotels in Rome and I would say each had pros and cons. I'm one of the few here who doesn't love del Senato although I did like the location.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Can you tell me why you didn't love the del Senato? That place gets BIG LOVE around here.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 10:16 AM

zen, I know it does and perhaps that's why I was disappointed. I am willing to pay for a really nice hotel, but I think del Senato is overpriced. My room was small but adequate but the bed was unacceptable, really more like a cot than a bed. I should have asked to be moved so perhaps that was my fault. It was impossible to read in my room as the lighting was so poor. It was early November and the rooftop was closed. The lounge/bar was a poor substitute. The breakfast area was depressing. I don't particularly remember the food but I think it was adequate. It sounds like I'm high maintenance but really I just expect more value for that kind of money.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 10:27 AM

Here is the other hotel where we have a suite at the end of our stay in Rome, and I think the price is good. I have not stayed here before but it has great reviews on TA and from people here.

http://www.torreargentinarelais.com/

When are you going?
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Rome for four nights. The 27th though 31st of August. We will have been in Barcelona and Amalfi before that. I am excited!
Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into it!
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 08:16 AM

There's a boutique hotel called La Lunetta in a tiny little piazza off Campo de'Fiori. I used to stay there before it became a boutique hotel and priced itself out of my range. (I go for cheap hotels and spend my money on other things.) I loved the location, though.

I know the Santa Chiara from the outside only. It may be nicer on the inside, but it looks a bit rundown from the street.

Maybe the most special hotel in Rome I've ever stayed in is this one which is also very reasonably priced:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/vill...ais.en-gb.html

It's on the Janiculum (Gianicolo) Hill very near the American Academy. It seems to be miles from the city, in a green and quiet area. Our room was at ground level, with a private entrance and a little patio outside. In the mornings, we heard a rooster crowing!

The villa entrance is on Via delle Fornaci, which goes straight to the Vatican. It's downhill going, but uphill coming back. In the other direction, there is a bus stop with buses that will take you to central Rome and Trastevere (downhill and walkable in a different direction from the Vatican).

The one thing I didn't like about the location is that Via delle Fornaci is rather heavily trafficked, and in that part of the road, there is no shoulder and a high wall on both sides. We had my granddaughter with us and carried her for a short distance until we reached the sidewalk. If you're uneasy about the road, you could call a taxi to take you into town, or at least to a convenient bus or metro stop. Piazza della Rovere wouldn't be far and a number of buses stop there.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, amici. I am having such a tough time booking this part of the trip.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Zenfoodist,

If you have looked only at hotels, you may find a lovely apartment is just what you want.

Give a look at some of these listed on Homeaway.

#722461vb
campo Fiori Ghetto Fountain View
3BR, 2 baths
Historical Palace Impeccable view

Navona Splendor Beautiful with View
3BR, 3 baths

#411075vb
Historical Palace Finest Panaoramic
4BR, 3 baths

Cappellari Glamour with View

I didn't copy all the info. You want to make sure there is an elevator, sound proofing and quiet street. These seemed to have all that, plus some of the feeling of the old world luxury. Location seems good for all of them. You should ask though. I didn't post any, but there are of course some elegant apartments with modern furnishings, if you prefer that.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM

Sorry, #411075vb is not correct. I will try to find the correct number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -