Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you open FODOR? I've a problem, need help pls.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have Fodor's as an icon on my tool bar, next to Google and others I used most. When I click it, Fodors Europe Travel Talk Forum pops up and I then can also click on my screen name and see all I have made comments to or check new threads. This simple entrance is now gone and I do not know how to get it back!

When I now click to open, a Welcome screen is shown with big VISA lettering in center, saying it is presented by it with list on left of: Sights, Restaurants, Hotels, Entertainment and Shopping.

In small print at bottom of screen it says, "View full website". I click on that and then hit, TALK, on top, pick EUROPE and finally, I am there.

I wrote an e-mail to the editors but do not know if I will get a timely reply.

Does anyone REALLY go through all listed steps? Can anyone help to get it back to a quick click to Europe forum?

Thanks!!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM

I am no expert, but suggest you bring up the Forum site. ie the one you are reading now and then save that to your favourites. Sometimes that has happened to me where it goes back to the beginning. I have no idea why it happens, but it does!!! Just save the forum page again and you should be OK.

Schnauzer
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM

Go to this address and save it as a bookmark,

Good luck!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

Hi ciaodeb,
It's really very easy, just go to the Europe page that you want to always open on and put your cursor on the bold (coloured)F in the address at the top of the page and drag and drop it where you want it on your toolbar.

Good luck
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM

If you use Internet Explorer you can put a shortcut on your desktop, and it will take you directly to the forum you use most.

When on the forum click "File" on the IE menu bar, move the cursor to "Send" in the dropdown menu, then click "Shortcut to Desktop".
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM

Hi ciadeb, not sure I understand your problem. But I have Fodors in my favorites, I click that on and than click Talk and than click on whatever forum I want ( Forums, US, Europe etc.). Very easy and quick.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
tod

Me too - Fodors Forum is on My Favorites. Super easy that way!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I tried Mischka's idea, it copied but did not paste. I use Fodor's often so putting it in Favorites is adding one step!
However, hitting my Favorites icon, there was an option for putting on toolbar as I wanted to bring back convenience with one click into the Europe forum! Created then deleted old one.

Schnauzer, I'm with you, who knows why this happens once in a while? But as long as I know how to fix it, I'm OK!!

Thanks, everyone!!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Jed

LoveItaly - I wonder whether you have 'favoritized' the wrong page, since you then have to click on 'talk' to get to the forum.

I had gone to the US forum site and added <i>that</i> page to my favorites, so when I click on 'Fodors' on my favorite list, it goes directly to the US forum, where I always start. Saves a step or 2.

Am I right?
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM

All I do is www.fodors.com/forums. Once I get there, I can select which forum to go to or click on my name and see all of my posts.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Forgot to add, that I have had some problems with the Fodor's site lately. I'll get to the point where I click my name and no messages come up. Then where my name was, it says Login/Register. I'll log in and the same thing happens. So I wait awhile and try again and everything is OK. Weird!!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

bettyk-- this happened to me today too. In fact since I tried it several times, once Europe came up with no threads, another time with threads I could not open and got this message in sections each time I clicked on a thread! Here it is whole:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

So I sent an e-mail explaining problem and it was returned by mailer deamon saying it was not right address!

I had to do again what I explained above and now come right to Europe with my name above so I don't have to register again! Strange Foder's lately!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Well, at least you got an explanation, I got zip! Glad to know it's not just me though!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Something is wrong. All my old bookmarks for specific Fodors threads (which have worked before) now get redirected to the main page.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM

I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser and the Fodor's Europe forum page as my startup page. Open Fodors talk Europe, then open preferences under the Firefox on your tool bar and click on &quot;use current page&quot;. That way, Fodor's Europe forum comes up everytime I log on my computer. I also save my password and log-in so it is ready for me to post a comment if I want to.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Hi Jed, it is late and I just sort of skimmed through the posts but saw your post. I don't always want to go to the same Forum etc., everytime so going to my Favorites and clicking on Fodor's, and than usually talk and than whichever Forum I am interested in works for me..and it just takes a second so to speak. I don't log off by the way.

But the Fodor's website has acted up now and than these last couple of weeks. Katie, the editor, repsonded to that in the Lounge yesterday.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 04:35 AM

will this help? my bookmark stopped working and it took me to the main Fodor's page, from where I had to navigate to talk, then Africa. But, in this bookmark, I did not have www in front of the Fodors. Adding www so that it reads http://www.fodors..., rather than http://fodors has cured it. Apparently, Fodors has been doing some url housecleaning for better indexing purposes.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly--that certainly makes sense to me and the way you have it set is BEST for jumping around the forums. As I am planning a trip to Italy and France, having Europe pop up is most convenient for the many times I open Fodors!

&lt;&lt;Katie, the editor, repsonded to that in the Lounge yesterday.&gt;&gt;

What is the Lounge?? How do I get to it? Purpose of it? To chat?

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 05:42 AM

I guess you've solved your problem, but I have Fodor's Europe on my toolbar and have not had any problems recently with it bringing up the right page.

As for the Lounge, it's one of the forums. If you've ever entered Fodors from the front page, which you must have, you get a list of all the forums on the &quot;talk&quot; front page. It's one of them. Also, at the leftside is a drop-down selection box at the top of the posts where you can switch forums, and it's listed in there, also.

It is just a general free-for-all chat room and was created to keep nontravel threads out of the travel forums.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:31 AM

They changed their server configuration so that the www. at the beginning of the URLs is now mandatory instead of being defaulted.

Just change your bookmarks so they read http://<b>www.</b>fodors.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -