How do I go to Paris from Munich?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Chris Feng

How do I go to Paris from Munich?

Does any one have a good way to go to Paris from Munich?<BR>Either by bus or train, perhaps night train,<BR>what kind of ticket or pass I should purchase? good price and save time.<BR>Thanks

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 03:19 AM
francesca

I have taken the night train and the plane, obviously the plane takes less than 2 hours so that is faster. Check on prices and take the cheapest one. Bus/Car would be a very very long trip.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Herman

Train takes about 10 hours (9pm to 7am)but you are sleeping most of that time. Plane takes about 2 hours plus many hours for check-in and security checks, all of which comes out of your daylight hours in Europe.<BR><BR>Sleeping in a couchette can be a terrific bargain for the budget-minded traveler. Contact me for more information.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Bob Brown

If you leave Paris East at 7:49 you can make Munich in 8 hours, 30 minutes.<BR>If you are 65 or over there is a discount for the part of the trip within France. The night train that reqires no changes takes almost 10 hours.<BR>It leaves Paris about 11 PM (23:00)<BR><BR>According to Expedia, an airline ticket one way Paris to Munich will cost you over $450.<BR><BR>The SNCF system was refusing to process ticket requests when I asked for pricing information, so I don't know how much a second class ticket would cost. My guess is that it would be about $100 for the day train.<BR>But that is a guess.<BR><BR>You will also have the expense of getting to and from the airports.<BR>In Munich, the cost for the S bahn is relatively cheap. The Lufthansa bus is 18 &euro; plus the cost of reaching your final destination. A cab within Munich would be in the 6 to 12 &euro; range. <BR><BR>Security for intra European flights is not as extensive as it is for flights to the USA. I recently flew from Munich to Helsinki and back, and a few days later from Munich to Philadelphia.<BR>Security for the US bound flight was strict. I stood in line for over an hour. For the Helsimki flight, it took less than 30 minutes.<BR><BR>Of course I don't know how that translates into time at CDG airport in Paris, but my general impression after going through CDG 6 times in the last 3 years, including this September, is that the French got tighter after the guy with the shoe bomb got past them.<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 03:45 PM
cheryl

We just returned from Paris via Munich yesterday. I can highly recommend your flying from Paris to Munich as it is less than 2 hours only. As for the airline that we flew on, it was Lufthansa. Lufthansa has been given poor reviews here but surprisingly, their European flights are pretty good in comparison to British Airways, for example. Our flight from Paris departed around 11:15 a.m. and we were served a sandwich lunch during the flight. The flight attendants were very courteous and the plane used is a very comfortable and clean Airbus.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Shannon

I've taken the night train several times between these two cities. 1st class sleeper compartments are great. Really enjoyed the trip.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Leslie

Can anyone point me to a website for finding the night train from Munich to Paris?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Bob Brown

Leslie: <BR><BR>The French rail site, www.sncf.com, or the German site, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/d , will give you the timetables.<BR>You will find English captions at both places. On the French site look for a little British flag icon; on the German site the word English is in small letters about one third of the way down on the right. <BR>The best night schedule is the train that leaves Munich at 20:54 and arrives in paris at 7:02. There is no change of trains. <BR>First class fare is about $270.<BR>I have not taken this particular train, ever, but the train moves along at a good pace with 10 stops en route. Once it enters France, there are two stops between Kehl and Paris.<BR>

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Liz

Leslie-once you get the schedules from the rail sites, here'e a site to find out more about night trains and costs:<BR><BR>www.euraide.de