Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I "waste" my time in Munich versus longer stay in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Freddy

That was not meant to be an inflammatory title though it may seem like it. I have a chance to go to Paris and Rome in late May. I can be in Paris for 5 days or alternatively 3 days and 2 other days in Munich. I have never been to Europe.<BR><BR>I know paris and Rome are the biggies. Should I concentrate my time there or go to Munich also. Would Munich be considered a &quot;waste&quot; of time???

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:29 PM
nancy

Have been to both Paris (one month) and Munich (4 days) and given your amount of time would spend those days you have in Paris. 5 days is not much to see Paris. I did love Munich but you don't have enough time to get either a fair shake. Too much time is taken up with transportation.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Bob Brown

This forum is by and large inhabited by Parisophiles (assuming I can make that word) who will tell you that there is no place like Paris, that it is the ultimate in tourist travel, that you are neither cultured nor educated until you have sampled liberally the charms and architecture of Paris, that the city has more pizzazz, savoir faire and flamboyance etc, and yak, yak, yak than any other in the world.<BR><BR>Yes, Paris is full of artistic monuments, famous art museums, famous churches, great historial museums, etc.<BR><BR>After 4 trips to Paris, I have developed a love hate relationship with the place. Right now I am debating about returning this year. Do I or don't I; and ironically the choice is between Munich and Paris!!<BR><BR>The first time I went to Paris, it was cold, rainy, and foggy, the Louvre was closed because of a strike, I don't speak French, I was not prepared for my visit and, as a result, I hated it. <BR><BR>After an absence of more than 40 years I returned for 5 days. I loved it. We went like gang busters for that whole period. The following year, I returned for 4 more days, and it was the same story. <BR><BR>Last year, some of the bloom fell off of the Paris rose. I had several expensive restaurant meals that were not to my liking, there were several unpleasant, threatening incidents on the subway, I grew even more unhappy with the physical set up of CDG airport, there was the usual screwup with the van service to my hotel which resulted in a silly delay, there was a major muckup when trying to return to Paris at night from Melun after visiting Vaux-le-Vicomte by candle light, etc. <BR><BR>On the other hand, I will freely admit that there is not as much to see in Munich compared with Paris, BUT I feel more comfortable there just walking the streets and riding the subway. Perhaps it is because the hotel I use is a family run place operated by friendly, helpful people who know their guests, often by name. Perhaps it is because I speak some German and don't hesitate to ask questions for directions.<BR>What ever the reason, Munich is fun for me to visit, and I have been there 3 times. <BR><BR>Given a 5 day time frame, the waste for you is the amount of time required to get from one place to the other. The trip to Munich from Paris is a long one. Even if you fly, it is long: a total of 5 hours or so. It takes at least an hour to get to the airport, you need to allow at least an hour for boarding (security is not as tight in Europe for non USA flights as a general rule), an hour and a half or so to make the flight, and then another hour to get from the airport to the city. By train, it is a slow 8.5 hour trip to Munich with one change in Mannheim, or a no change train that leaves Paris Est at 10:46 and takes 8:28.<BR><BR>You will have to be the judge. But given that you lose a day to travel just about, I think I would devote the 5 days to Paris. You can then decide if the 5 days are enough, or if you want to return for more. There will be more than enough to keep you hopping rapidly the whole time, particularly if you try to add in a side trip to Versailles, which will take up most of a day.<BR><BR>So I guess that is my bottom line: spend the time in Paris.<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Margaret

we learned the hard way when not to visit Munich. Sunday! sunday in Germany is family day and everything closes around 2 p.m. on sat. and closed on sundays

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Linda

Well, you're correct - &quot;waste&quot; is a ridiculous inquiry. You're ultimately going to have to decide for yourself. Bet bet is to do a bit or research and planning. Since none of those destinations are a &quot;waste&quot;, it's entirely up to you which you would find most appealing. You know, everyone, including you, has preferences, and those of others are totally meaningless to you.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Linda

Having been to both cities many times (Munich over and over mainly because it's a cheaper hub city in Europe to fly into) I would ALWAYS recommend Paris before Munich. Only 5 days? Of course spend them all in Paris and then start planning a REAL stay there on your next trip. I think you have to stay at least 3 weeks to even start to see much of Paris. Munich......blah! Half a day (and it's usually drizzing and grey) and you've seen all there is to see. Now when we fly into Munich we head directly from the plane to the train station and get the heck out of that dull place.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Munchen boy

as opposed to the previous poster - I love Munich - Skip Paris and stay with Munich. The people are much more friendly, and the food in Munich is not overrated and overpriced. I'm not even mentioning soccer...

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Kevin

Yeah, the boiled bratwurst in Munich is much cheaper than that gourmet stuff they serve ya in Par-ee.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Melissa

I think big cities like London, Paris and Rome are the best places to get your feet wet on your first trip to Europe. On subsequent trips, you can go to Munich. I like Munich, but I agree with Nancy-- it seems like everything is so much more spread out and 2 days is not really enough. And 3 days in paris is not enough.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Nick

Having lived in Munich for 18 mths and been to Paris a few times, I think Bob's response is totally legitimate and well thought through. I do find Paris restaurants are far more hit and miss than many people say and Munich is pretty good value - especially Italian tratooria style food (pretty good and incredibly cheap).Margaret is a little out of date re opening hours - Munich is now 4pm closing for Saturday, but there are still lots of smaller shops including in central areas (and majority of shops in lots of suburbs) which close ar 12, 1, 2 - frankly whenever they feel like - so it can be a real pain. And Sunday is really dead still - total museum day or walk in the park. As to weather, Linda has had bad luck, even though my 18 mths there did have a fair few bad days (and Munich people exagerrate their quality of weather vs London)- I am sure visitors to Paris have also had awful weather and think the same thing. Friendliness - Munich used to be much friendlier. I think service in Munich is now very third rate in many stores and restaurants with the Germans haveing a huge tolerance for it. Lots of non-Munich Germans like Munich but do not like Munich people - too much &quot;high and mighty, aren't we rich attitude now&quot;. Would not agree with Melissa at all (most sites are central with easy walks or 2 stops on U bahn to Deutsche Museum and Art Galleries) and I think Nancy's point was in travelling between the cities anyway. Paris is a much bigger place to get around (Montmartre, Eiffel Tower Notre Dame etc are not that close to each other)simply because it is 5 times the population and a much bigger city from years back.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Ira

Hi Freddy<BR> I have enjoyed 3 days in Munich, and even Sunday was pleasant. However, I would suggest Paris as a much better place for a first-time visitor to Europe.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:37 AM
nbh

Hello, I recently spent 5 nights and 6 days in Munich and then 4 nights in Paris. First time to Munich, numerous trips to Paris. I really enjoyed Munich, museums &amp; shopping, but no burning desire to return soon. I always return to Paris as soon as possible even after many trips.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:34 AM
kjulie

I just got back from my first trip to Munich and need to vent! All the shops closed so early that I didn't get a chance to do any shopping. The museums closed at 5:00 and when we left the museums it seemed as if the world had closed. Only some of the restaurants were still open, so we grabbed a bite to eat and went back to the hotel. <BR><BR>In Paris and Rome shops, cafes, and restaurants seem to stay open much later than in Munich. So if you want to do some shopping and exploring after 5o don't choose Munich in the winter.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:13 AM
CharlieB

Freddy - you can never &quot;waste&quot; your time by going to Munich, but given your time constraints - 3days in Paris and 2 days in Munich, does neither city justice! Save Munich for another time! I personally enjoy Munich more than Paris, but to each his own. By the way, you don't have to eat &quot;boiled bratwurst&quot;, you can always find a McDonalds for more nutritious food, and to complain because shops close from Saturday afternoon till Monday morning in order that employees in those shops can spend weekends with their families is pure &quot;Ugly American&quot;. Shame on Germany for not chasing the almighty Euro! Should I hate Spain because everything shuts down at midday for siesta?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Gordo

Spend all your time in Rome so you can enjoy your vacation.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:29 PM
steve

Freddy,<BR><BR>Paris has more bang for the buck, <BR>but Munich is also fabulous (I live here, so I should know). Late May is a great time to visit Munich, but you have to ask yourself if it is worth the extra travel time (you will lose precious hours traveling).<BR><BR>If you're a meat and potatoes, beer lovin' guy, I'd recommend you spend those two days in Munich. Else, I'd say hold off until next time, since you're sure to find plenty to do in 5 days of Paris.