Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How can I get the best hotel deal in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling in June, and the exchange rate right now is killing us! Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 08:52 AM

If you need a hotel room for two people, bidding for a room on Priceline is the best deal in town. I just got 7 nights at a 4* hotel in Kensington for $82/night (US dollars!) My entire hotel bill for 7 nights, including taxes, was $690.

You must do research before bidding. Visit www.biddingfortravel.com and read the Hotel FAQ's, London Hotel List and the message boards to see what others have gotten. You can really get some great deals. But, for London, I wouldn't bid on anything less than a 4* hotel.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM

In case you are not familiar with Priceline, be aware that there is no changing your mind. You pay when your bid is accepted, and that's it. No cancellations.

I would search all the big discount hotel sites, and I can tell you that we have had good rates from specials on the Thistle hotels website, and the Jurys hotels websites. I also once did very well in London using Abouthotel.com, as did a friend.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I get my best deals on londontown.com. I am afraid of Priceline because of the not sure what hotel you're getting and no backing out.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

tuscanlifeedit, is Jury's and Thistles a hotel chain, or is it a general hotel reservation site? Thank you for your replies!
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM

nbbrown: "is Jury's and Thistles a hotel chain, or is it a general hotel reservation site?"

tuscanlifeedit was talking about two different sites. Jury's is one group of hotels and Thistle is another hotel group. Both sometimes have very good specials through their respective websites.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM

If you do a search above you will see a whole list of threads on budget hotels in London - both techniques to find them and info on specific hotels.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Do your looking at hotels and zones on www.biddingfortravel.com and use Priceline. You will be paying immediately in USD and therefore protected against future exchange losses. True, you cannot change your mind, but any trip insurance you may purchase covers all "prepaid" items--such as Priceline reservations. Just returned from a resort trip for Epiphany and paid less than $100 for a marvellous room. Thought about staying another day, but the "actual" price was two-and-a-half times what we paid.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:49 AM

I got my hotel via Priceline (for May, 4 nights) for $100/night - at the Thistle Charing Cross Hotel. It's a 4* hotel and in an excellent location. A friend was there last month and had good comments on the hotel and his room.
Definitely study the FAQs on biddingfortravel. I think this is the best option if you are willing to accept Pricelines choice (based on your location/star rating choice).

Monica