Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How can I get the best hotel deal in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-can-i-get-the-best-hotel-deal-in-london-495810/)

nbbrown Jan 16th, 2005 08:41 AM

How can I get the best hotel deal in London?

We are traveling in June, and the exchange rate right now is killing us! Thanks for any and all advice!

Kayb95 Jan 16th, 2005 08:52 AM

If you need a hotel room for two people, bidding for a room on Priceline is the best deal in town. I just got 7 nights at a 4* hotel in Kensington for $82/night (US dollars!) My entire hotel bill for 7 nights, including taxes, was $690.

You must do research before bidding. Visit www.biddingfortravel.com and read the Hotel FAQ's, London Hotel List and the message boards to see what others have gotten. You can really get some great deals. But, for London, I wouldn't bid on anything less than a 4* hotel.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 16th, 2005 10:10 AM

In case you are not familiar with Priceline, be aware that there is no changing your mind. You pay when your bid is accepted, and that's it. No cancellations.

I would search all the big discount hotel sites, and I can tell you that we have had good rates from specials on the Thistle hotels website, and the Jurys hotels websites. I also once did very well in London using Abouthotel.com, as did a friend.

Grasshopper Jan 16th, 2005 10:15 AM

I get my best deals on londontown.com. I am afraid of Priceline because of the not sure what hotel you're getting and no backing out.

nbbrown Jan 16th, 2005 11:01 AM

tuscanlifeedit, is Jury's and Thistles a hotel chain, or is it a general hotel reservation site? Thank you for your replies!

janis Jan 16th, 2005 11:19 AM

nbbrown: "is Jury's and Thistles a hotel chain, or is it a general hotel reservation site?"

tuscanlifeedit was talking about two different sites. Jury's is one group of hotels and Thistle is another hotel group. Both sometimes have very good specials through their respective websites.

nytraveler Jan 16th, 2005 01:17 PM

If you do a search above you will see a whole list of threads on budget hotels in London - both techniques to find them and info on specific hotels.

kswl Jan 16th, 2005 02:05 PM

Do your looking at hotels and zones on www.biddingfortravel.com and use Priceline. You will be paying immediately in USD and therefore protected against future exchange losses. True, you cannot change your mind, but any trip insurance you may purchase covers all "prepaid" items--such as Priceline reservations. Just returned from a resort trip for Epiphany and paid less than $100 for a marvellous room. Thought about staying another day, but the "actual" price was two-and-a-half times what we paid.

monicapileggi Jan 19th, 2005 08:49 AM

I got my hotel via Priceline (for May, 4 nights) for $100/night - at the Thistle Charing Cross Hotel. It's a 4* hotel and in an excellent location. A friend was there last month and had good comments on the hotel and his room.
Definitely study the FAQs on biddingfortravel. I think this is the best option if you are willing to accept Pricelines choice (based on your location/star rating choice).

Monica ((F))