How accessible is Rail Link at Woking?

Nov 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

How accessible is Rail Link at Woking?

We expect to travel from Heathrow to Milford on Sea and wonder how accessible is the Rail Link connection at Woking. Many stairs, long walks?
Nov 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Your definition of a "long walk" may be quite different from mine, but I'd say theere's practically no walk at all

There are no manadatory stairs: wherever stairs are usually used, there is a lift alternative. Full accessibilty details, and phone numbers for further advice, at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/wok/details.html

A few lines down that page, there's a link to "Stations made easy". The link's not working for Woking yet, but is being progressively added for all stations across the network.

For stations where the link's been enabled, it takes you to a series of photographs for each step in the route to the platforms from car parks, ticket offices, bus stops etc. Worth checking later on, as the Woking stuff will be uploaded sooner or later.

If one of you has a mobility problem, there's a range of things both BAA will do at Heathrow (where the walk from the plane to the coach stop is several hundred times longer than what's waiting for you at Woking: go to the accessibilty section of the Heathrow website) and that Network Rail and the train companies will do at Woking and at Milford(http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passen...led_passengers).

Remember, though, that the Rail Link bus doesn't have grounbd-level entry: there are three steepish steps to go up.
Nov 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I had a bet with my wife that you would have the answer.
Nov 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM
yk

I did the RailLink from Salisbury -> Heathrow last year. It was very straightforward. The coach drops you off right outside Woking station - at the curb. You then just walk into the rail station. There may be stairs INSIDE the station to get to your platform (check flanneruk's link), but as far as getting from the coach bus to the train station, it's only a 50 yard walk on flat surface.
Nov 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Sorry can't help on travel arrangements, but if you are visiting Milford on Sea, I thought you might be interested in the local community website that carries a lot of information about the village, local news & things to do. The website is www.milfrdonsea.org
Nov 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Apologies I mistyped web address, it is www.milfordonsea.org
Nov 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, David, for the website. You must spend a quantity of time updating it.