How do I get from Heathrow to Dover?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a cruise that departs from Dover. I'm wondering how to get from the airport to the terminal? How far is it?<BR>A train seems like a good idea, but is there one??
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM

roomiec,<BR><BR>It would appear to be a rather grueling journey...<BR><BR>You can take a look at the port of Dover's web site for general information:<BR>www.doverport.co.uk<BR>(click on the &quot;travel&quot; tab for transportation info).<BR><BR>You can either take the bus - change at London Victoria coach station, journey time about 4-4.5 hrs. The bus lets you off at the central bus station in Dover.<BR>www.gobycoach.com<BR><BR>Option B: take the Heathrow Express train to Paddington Station, then cab or underground to Waterloo station and from there train to Dover Priory station. About 3 hours travel time.<BR>www.railtrack.co.uk<BR><BR>Arriving at Gatwick airport would be much more convenient - there's hourly train service with 1 change in Tornbridge, total journey time under 2 hours. Can you perhaps change your travel plans?<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 01:42 PM

What about the bus that connects Heathrow with Gatwick and then the train? Just a thought.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 02:12 PM

However you do it, if it involves public transport and is during the winter, allow PLENTY OF TIME! Trains particularly south of London are not noted for their punctuality and ability to run normally during inclement weather (any weather in fact).
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 03:31 PM

Another possibility is to check out taking the Heathrow-Feltham bus/train connection. Buses run approx. every 10 minutes from Heathrow's central bus station to the Feltham Rail station just outside the airport. At Feltham trains leave every 15&quot; or so to London's Waterloo Station where you can catch a train to Dover. The trip into Waterloo takes 30-40 minutes and the cost is 5.00 GBP. We did this in 2001 when we were travelling from Heathrow to Staplehurst in Kent and found it very convenient. There's some information on the Heathrow web page, by you can get the most info on the SouthWest Train site: http://www.swtrains.co.uk I hope that helps. <BR><BR>Dale
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:29 AM

Indeed, Dale gives the best route from Heathrow to Dover! Didn't know about the bus connection to Feltham station.<BR><BR>Anyway, the journey from Feltham to Dover via London Waterloo takes about 2.5 hours with departures every 1/2 hour. The only &quot;but&quot; is that the South West trains from Heathrow arrive at Waterloo main station, whereas the Connex trains to Dover leave from Waterloo East station, which the Railtrack timetable says is a 12 minute walk away... Perhaps someone can advise how much of a pain this connection is?<BR><BR>According to the South West trains web site listed above, you take busline 285 from Heathrow central coach station or terminal 3 to Feltham station - leaves every 10 minutes and takes 20-25 min.<BR><BR>Gatwick is still easier and faster IMO, but this is definitely your best option from Heathrow.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

WOW!! Didn't think it was going to be this complicated.<BR>Thank you all for your information.<BR>I will, at Andre's suggestion, attempt to fly into Gatwick.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:26 AM

It seems to me you have to buy your tickets and check the departure board from the main Waterloo station. Waterloo East is right inside the same complex and you get there by going up some stairs (believe there is also an elevator). Then it's a short walk along a corridor. We didn't find it inconvenient at all.<BR><BR>In any case, and as I should have suggested in my first post, if the travellers have lots of luggage (as they're going to be on a cruise), it might be easier to arrange for a car service to take them directly from Heathrow to Waterloo. There are a few mentioned on this board and I have also used them with great results. Afterall, no matter which mode of public transport they decide on, it's not going to be easy if they are overwhelmed with too many bags. When we used the Heathrow to Waterloo od in 2001, we just had the minimum of luggage, so we didn't mind the transfer. Hope that helps. <BR><BR>Dale
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Andre- I forgot to ask earlier-is the train @ Gatwick directly on the airport property? As you can imagine, we'll have two very large suitcases to deal with.<BR>Also, that change in Tornbridge, is it a far ways to go to board the train to Dover?<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:41 AM

roomiec,<BR><BR>Yes, the train station is right beneath Gatwick South Terminal, where most airlines besides BA land (otherwise, you take a little shuttle train from the North Terminal). <BR><BR>I have no idea how easy the transfer is at Tornbridge or what the station facilities are like in Dover, but the rail infrastructure in the UK is quite backward and there are bound to be staircases to deal with.<BR><BR>So, Dale is probably right (again) - with 2 large suitcases, a chauffeured transfer would be MUCH easier, if a lot more expensive. Train tix should cost about GBP 20 per person, whereas a car will run at least GBP 100.<BR><BR>A cursory search on the internet turned up:<BR>www.airporttransfers.biz<BR>as the cheapest, but I cannot vouch for the company. Other car services have been mentioned on this board - shop around. Perhaps your cruise line has special deals as well.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:36 AM

A car service is not quite as expensive as it seems and it turns out to be cheaper than hailing a cab outside the arrivals area. Not that I'm promoting one service over another, but I've used Ray Skinner's London Transfer based on a few tips I got from this board. I found Mr. Skinner to be great. Others here prefer another company called Swiss Cottage cars. <BR><BR>In either case, I believe the cost will definitely be under 45 GBP for airport pick-up, less for a return trip to Heathrow and well worth the money. <BR><BR>If you do a search on this forum for &quot;Ray Skinner&quot; and &quot;Swiss Cottage&quot; you can find lots of information. As Andre mentioned, maybe your cruise company has some preferred companies. It would seem to me that they might be inclined to help you. <BR><BR>After having said all this, I had not focused on your comment that you had a choice of airports. It sure does sound easier to fly into Gatwick. I can certainly vouch for Andre's comments about the stairs problems at rail stations. I've been to Tonbridge before, but never with luggage. While it's not a huge station, it is a transfer point for a couple of different routes, so you may have to do some stairs. I would certainly climb a few stairs though then to try to do the Heathrow transfer. Lucky you to have a choice of airports, as it always has to be Heathrow for me!<BR><BR>Dale
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:59 AM

Take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Hammersmith and change there to the District Line (they are on oppposite sides of the same platform so there are no steps) to Victoria. From Victoria, take a train to Dover.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:16 AM

Roomiec,<BR><BR>Would be really surprised if you could find a car service @ around 45&pound; - but if you do, I would most certainly go for it! Either way, Gatwick is preferable to Heathrow as the drive should be considerably shorter (1hr20-30 mins vs. at least 2 hrs).<BR><BR>A little more searching turned up this car service:<BR>www.mercury-travel.co.uk/ <BR>They list Gatwick pickup @ 85&pound; and Heathrow @ 105&pound;<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:21 AM

Take a car service, I don't even want to imagine the hassle of getting from the airport (any airport) to Dover with luggage. We've used Ray Skinner (www.london-tranfers.com) lots of times and I've recommended him as well - you cannot beat the convenience. Your cruise no doubt cost quite a bit, don't scrimp on public transportation - you won't enjoy schlepping your bags on and off trains and up and down stairs.