Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

British Rail service from Heathrow to area of Lyme Regis

May 11th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

We'll be flying into Heathrow this August and would like to use British Rail for travel to Lyme Regis and environs. Could anyone tell me if this is feasible, or should I just break down, rent a car, and just drive down there?
May 11th, 2005, 04:12 AM

look at www.trainline.co.uk - this should help.

But I'm not sure there is a station at Lyme Regis ??? So I suspect you are better to drive. I even tried looking on www.nationalexpress.co.uk (coach) - no joy.

Mark
May 11th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Driving would be better. You have to get to Central London to catch a train from Waterloo (or bus from LHR to Woking), and Lyme Regis has no train station so you have to get a bus from the nearest, Axminster.
May 11th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mark and Alec. Actually, our destination is Axminster, so maybe it is possible to get there by rail if I understand Alec correctly. But the more I think about it, since we're arriving at Heathrow at about 10:30 p.m., we could be better off driving as there shouldn't be much traffic. Train service at that time of night is probably nonexistant anyway. So maybe I should just bag the rail idea and drive down, though it will take some fast adjusting to the different traffic patterns. I drove around London and the UK for a year in the early seventies and didn't have a problem. Last year, though, I could see that the country is knee deep in cars and trucks, and I wasn't sure I wanted to join in.
May 11th, 2005, 04:43 AM

First of all - the only place you can get to directly by train from Heathrow is Paddington Station in London. You can get to other places by bus (Reading, Woking, etc, etc.) and catch trains there. If you did go to Paddington, then you would have to take the tube or a cab to Waterloo Station to get a train to someplace like Dorchester or Axminster and then you'd have to take a local bus or a cab to Lyme Regis. And once you got there, since there is no station in Lyme Regis you have to use buses to visit anywhere else.

But I wouldn't recommend driving to Lyme Regis if you are coming in on an overnight flight. A good choice would be to stay the first night in Windsor (a 10-20 minute drive from LHR). Then the next day after you have rested up, drive down to Lyme regis.

If you want to tour around the Dorset/Somerset/Devon area around Lyme Regis, you would really need a car.
May 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Our posts crossed - are you flying in from the Continent or is this a day flight from the States? In any case - the trip down to Axminster would be difficult at that time of night. You wouldn't be on the road until after 11:30 or midnight.

(BTW - are you the Chipshot I know from a certain other board?)
May 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

This is a day flight from the States arriving at Heathrow around 10:30 at night. I think I could drive a few hours if need be but it might be the better part of wisdom to do what Janis advises and stop at Windsor or some place like that not too far out from Heathrow. Then I guess all I have to do is find some likely spot in Windsor (or other) and stay the night, then to save the driving challenge for Saturday morning. Note to Janis: this is my first Fodor posting and as Chipshot I'm usually trolling golf websites. Incidentally, if you have any suggestions on a place to stay I'd appreciate it.
May 11th, 2005, 06:05 AM

The journey from Heathrow to Lyme Regis is fairly straightforward: direct bus to Woking, train to Axminster, then a bus to Lyme Regis. The journey will take less than four hours, but you cannot do a journey like this in the middle of the night. In theory, you could get a car and drive, arriving there at three in the morning, but what on earth would be the point? As others have said, the only sensible thing is to stay a night somewhere near Heathrow, then travel to Lyme Regis the next day. Schedules are on www.transportdirect.info.