Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How about some feedback from Fedorites who follow others Fedorites advice i.e. hotels, etc

Search

How about some feedback from Fedorites who follow others Fedorites advice i.e. hotels, etc

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many other Fedorites it gives me great pleasure to share our experiences and suggest some hotel in Europe.
Wouldn't it be nice if people that follow these advices share back with this forum its recent experience, stating if the advice was good or not...etc.
I mean, I was suggesting recently the Hotel Filippeschi in Orvietto, but we stayed there in 2001, maybe now it is not so good, or maybe there is a better option. Or maybe it is still wonderful, or maybe it has been renovated...etc.
I am formaly suggesting that after a Fedorite stays in a hotel formerly recommended in this forum, could post a separate message with feedback regarding that particular experience. Does anyone agree with this?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:22 AM

People often do that, especially if they write a report about the trip. BTW - there's no "e" in Fodor...
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

You are right, where that E came from?
I agree with what you say, but in a long
report this concrete fact might be not noticed.
Besides who would know that he stayed in this particular hotel or ate in this paricular restaurant following an advice from a Fodorite.?
I am thinking posting in these terms:
"In Rome we stayed in such hotel following Graziella's advice but although a good location we found the rooms a little run down.////Now across the street there is a new hotel called ......which offers better rooms for a similar rate....."
This way I would found out that my advice was not so good, and in turn next time I might stay in the hotel across the street. And of course eveybody else would disregard my old advice and follow this recent information.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:56 AM

The people who would come back here to give an update are the same ones who will r.s.v.p an invitation, write a thank-you note for a gift, and reciprocate a dinner invitation. In other words, a dying breed.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I am guilty of putting all that information into my trip reports. I don't hunt down the individual threads in which I might have found the many recommendations I use on my trips. I think that would be nice, but it is unrealistic to think that most people will be able to or willing to do that.

Now that my attention has been called to the issue, though, I will try when I can to locate the original threads where I found the advice and post a follow-up.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I think the best you will ever get is trip reports.

In researching I print out recs from here, look at guide books, trip advisor,Chow Hound,etc...I don't always remember who recommended what. I have been good at posting trip reports where I always include info on hotels and restaurants, including pricing and menus. Tha being said, it is a bit of work, and most people probably won't bother. Some come here to gather info, then leave. Others, it's part of their life.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Like Michel, I could hardly ever tell you where I first found a recommendation.

BUT...I do think Graziella is onto something. When I return from a trip I will do a search on hotel/restaurant and find the same thread a new researcher would find. If it's the right kind of thread, I'll post an update on the establishment where it's easier to find w/o reading my entire trip report.

OTH, putting a review (hotel) on Trip Advisor accomplishes the same thing.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Graziella's trying to make it easier than that - her suggestion is to just create a new post and give the feedback.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I think it is very useful to others when someone posts a followup message within the same thread where they got the recommendation. I don't think separate posts on the topic would be nearly as useful, myself, as it wouldn't be in the context, and it would save people in the future a lot of time if they read them all in the same thread.

Sometimes it isn't that simple when it's just one person staying at a place that maybe has been mentioned in a lot of threads, and not specifically advice given to them to stay there in one thread.

I don't think judgmental statements about whether the advice was good or not, as Grazaiella wants, are appropriate. This is just personal opinion, and obviously if someone recommended something, they liked it, so for a poster to followup by saying that was bad advice seems rude.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Christina, I guess you missed my point, all I wish to say is that hotels, restaurants etc. might change as time goes by.
I was not looking for a tedious, complicated follow up. I my own experience if I stay in a hotel that was recommended in Fodors, I might not remember who recommended it by I would certainly remember it was in Fodors. So , what I am simply saying but maybe I do not explain myself clearly, is that if the hotel, rest. etc SOMEONE recommended in Fodors was great I could say so, and if it has changed as years went by, or simply if I didn't like I might say in a short post.-Rude? I do not think so.

I understand no matter what I say each person will do what seems ok with them, it was just an idea....In my experience places DO CHANGE and a lot.
I thank Nikki,JeanneB,Travelnut and others for considering the possibility as what I shall call an updated report. Thank you.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Graziella, yours is an interesting question to me in that I had recommended a B&B near Beaune France to friends traveling there in June. My husband and I were at the B&B several years ago and the place was perfect for us.

Our friends did not have as pleasant a stay but happily did not hold it against us. During their visit owner had friends staying at the B&B who kept them awake louding visiting and then when these guest finally went to bed snored loud enough that my friends got little sleep. They couldn't leave the place quick enough.

I know you are not asking or looking for a rating of the value of the advice or recommendations you have received on Fodors. Feedback/updates from a fellow posters travels certainly would be helpful and isn't that what we are trying to be Deborah
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM

A hotel in Paris was highly mentioned on the site and I was over the moon about it - the Grand Ecole. Also, one respondent saved me from making a big mistake in selecting a resort which on brief visiting was perfectly justified.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM

I don't really like the idea of putting updates in a separate post because that would result in even more search results. And when there's too many search results it becomes overwhelming and unworkable for the person looking for advice.

The ideal place to post updates is in the original threads, because that is where people researching are looking at the various suggestions. Trip reports aren't as useful, imo, because they tend to be overly broad. A trip report might encompass 10 cities, when the person needing advice is only interested in one. Unless the title is remarkable in some way or sounds EXACTLY like what I plan on doing, I rarely read trip reports.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM

I think it will be very difficult to say "I followed XXX's advice" as by the time you come back, how do you remember who advised you to stay in all 4 hotels? And what if you didn't like 2 of them?

I would just generally say: I stayed at this hotel on advice of a Fodorite and loved it! Or: this hotel is not as nice as I was told on Fodor's.

I don't want to offend a poster who recommeded something s/he loved, but for some reason it didn't work out for me. I also don't want to give all credits to one Fodorite while there may've been others who posted a rave review earlier or later.