Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you ever feel guilty when you receive great advice but end up not taking the trip?

Search

Do you ever feel guilty when you receive great advice but end up not taking the trip?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious if I'm the only one that feels guilty when I post about a particular place or region, get tons of fabulous replies, and then end up changing my plans. I doubt that most posters care, as we are all here because we love to travel and want to help people by sharing advice and experiences, but I can't help but feel a tinge of guilt! It's like I don't want the posters who helped me know that I've changed my plans!

Tracy
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM

I understand the feeling but, no, I don't feel guilty because the information given will prove valuable to me in the future and/or to someone else.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
J62

Nope. I take it all as input, but have no remorse deciding to do my own thing. I think most everyone here understands that, and those that don't have control complexes.

I've met up with friends while traveling, and one insists on giving a site by site passdown, long list of must-dos and must go to restaurants, then wants a report later.

Sometimes I follow a tip, if it's inline with what I want, but often I'll just choose to follow my own ideas, just because. Saves having to report out as well.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM

No need to feel guilty. I just feel disappointed if I something came up and I can't go.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Tracy...

You should never feel guilty because over time you have posted some fabulous trip reports, answered many questions, and generally posted great advice.

How many threads do you think you have responded to, with long posts full of excellent advice (yes, I've read a good many of them!), that have ultimately come to nothing, with the OP not going or travelling elsewhere?

Your advice will (and does) help others who bother to make the effort to search here - it's all somewhere in there in fodors search engine, waiting to be discovered by the intrepid ones!

And can I take this opportunity to thank you here for your trip reports, threads and posts on Croatia, which did help me on my recent trip.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope, because I've never planned a trip I haven't taken

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM

I was just thinking this today - especially with some posts I made on Flyertalk regarding assistance with award tickets that I never ended up getting (decided on somewhere else instead)

But whatever it is, someone else will be needing this info in the future so it's all good.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies, and thank you julia for your thoughtful praises! I do love to travel and I get so much out of helping others with their trips because I've gotten so much great help here myself and have had so many unforgetable vacations because of it.

I love to travel and have considered so many trips that, for one reason or another, we choose to postpone and go somewhere else. I guess that's when I feel the most guilty. Like when I posted about Romania and a few posters were kind enough to send me their trip files and e-mail me with information and then in the end we decided that we wouldn't have enough time for an adequate visit. Or when you, Suze, gave me lots of great helpful information on the Montreux/Vevey region and in the end we had to cancel our tickets and plans because I accepted a new job offer and won't have enough vacation time to take a full two weeks off next year to do that trip.

It's probably all silliness as in the end others may find the information in the post useful regardless of whether I took the trip or not!

Tracy