Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

House in Orleans? Is this an area that we would enjoy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an opportunity for a two week visit in April in small home in Orleans, France. No cost for the home, which makes this a very attractive option, but no hosts to guide us around. I have not been to Paris in 30 years, but frankly enjoyed the French Riviera more when I visited it about 15 years ago. My husband has not been to France before. We are not musuem people. We enjoy some visits to famous buildings, but tire quickly of the history and gilt, preferring to visit with the locals in their pubs, cafe's and restaurants. We shop in the food stores, not in Dior stores. Food is a major passion and We enjoy red wine and visiting wineries. We love beautiful scenery of any sort in a warm climate.
Is this an area we should consider visiting? Must we hire a car? We would pop for a few nights in a hotel in Paris prior to our home visit in Orleans.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi jk,

If I had a chance for two weeks in France without hotel bills, I would jump at it.

You can always find a good grocery store, butcher and bakery.

Have you googled <Orleans Tourist information>?

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM

My opinion?

April weather might be cloudy, rainy and cool, so don't count on a "warm climate".

Yes, you should rent a car. You'd not be far from Blois and the Loire chateaux and not far from the lovely town of Bourges and its magnificent cathedral. There are many other sights as well, although I don't know about wineries...
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:21 AM

I have lived in Orleans off and on for lengthy spell each year for many years - my son was born there and grew up there and i lived with him on and off there.

for what you describe it will be a good place and though you would not need a car i would think two weeks only in Orleans would be boring for most folks - again this comes from personal experience

but there is a lot of neat stuff just a short drive (or train ride) away

not time now to give a good reply but i will be back to address your concerns
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Well, I would never pass up a free stay anywhere in the world, including Orléans, so I'd say go for it. That said, I never tire of history, so I'd be all over the museums and local lore and wanting to know every detail about where I was sojourning for a couple of weeks. Sounds like you're more into the food...which isn't a bad thing, but Orléans isn't exactly a gourmand's territory, nor is it red wine territory, though you'll find some decent Chinons. You won't hurt for a good meal, though. And in April you might even hit asparagus season, which is huge in the Loire.

Yes, you'll want a car. I wouldn't call the general territory "beautiful scenery" by any stretch, especially considering this is France, which has some outstanding areas for gorgeous landscapes, but it's not going to be disappointing.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM

The Sologne, just south of Orleans, however i would rate up there with being very beautiful in its own way - very few Americans even know about it but it makes for delightful forays and this region has its own unique houses - some half-timbered and mainly brick from the area - along with chateaus and even accalimed cuisine

and there are vineyards in the Orleans area - the Gris d'Orleans' red wines getting even some acclaim - they are on the south bank of the Loire, but like St Cirq says there are many more prestigious vineyards elsewhere along the Loire river.

Locals would vigorously dispute that there is not great cuisine in Orleans - myself i know little about culinary things.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM

How could you even possibly consider not taking advantage of this...Au Revoir...
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM

well, I wouldn't take advantage of it unless you were getting free roundtrip transportation to the place (airfare alone would make me think about my choices) and unless you have plenty of free time,and not limited vacation time from a job. Such a free offer would be too expensive for me to invest my time and other money in a place where I didn't want to be.

I think the problem is that if the main attraction is the free rent, that means you must stay there most of the time, and only go to places within a short drive. That isn't a city where I would choose to stay, but I think others have mentioned the likely suspects for shorter drives -- Blois, Bourges and Tours, of course. Auxerre is about 2 hrs drive, also, and it is of interest and has some famous sites (crypt with frescos underneath the church).

Orleans is on a rail line, of course, so maybe there are more choices within a short timeframe by rail -- it's on the line to Limoges and Toulouse.

George Sand's home is near Orleans (Nohant-Vic) and it is open for visitors as a historic site. She spent a lot of time there, and Chopin, Liszt, Delacroix, and some others visited her there, also.

If you just want to hang around, it should be fine, though, and that part of France is fairly warm so should be okay in April. Orleans was heavily bombed in WWII, you know.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM

<though, and that part of France is fairly warm so should be okay in April. >

You obviously have not been in Orleans during April to make that statement - i have been - blustery and cool and lots of rain to be expected but rarely warm - until June or so IME - same weather as Paris - you gotta go much farther south to get any warming.

the weather may be 'okay' if you are very lucky
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM

I'd be curious to know what the address of the house is - I know Orleans very well and some areas have neat local cafes, etc. ???

and there is a plethora of neat things to do from an Orleans base - will detail later. Either by car or by train.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 05:45 AM

WOW!!!! I wish i was you. Anyway, to me nothing can beat a bicycle to explore this place. Seriously you don't need to hire a car.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Akum - i vigorously disagree that a bicycle is sufficient to explore this place - unless you are talking about the city of Orleans only

otherwise most sights of main interest are too long a bike ride from Orleans

what kind of exploration are you talking about?

Even in the city biking is not all that fun - few bike lanes though they are being created and the city centre is so compact why bike - trams and buses provide efficient transport all around Orleans
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Actually, it's a home exchange we are considering. We were thinking of a home exchange in Paris, but that's very competitive. This offer was presented to us and we are researching the area. Any assistance you all can provide is much appreciated! Thank you.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM

I have no tips for you but just wanted to say that from reading your title, The House of the Rising Sun is in my head....there is a house in New Orleans.....