Hotels - Munich, Nuremberg, Garmish

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels - Munich, Nuremberg, Garmish

I am starting to research lodging for our trip to Germany next summer and looking for some recomendations.

It will be just my husband and I and we are looking for good, basic accomodations, in convinient locations.

We are planning to use public transportation and trains for the most part - possibly renting a car in Garmish for a side trip or two - so having hotels convinient to transportation is very important.

I am budgetting an average nightly hotel cost of 100E over the trip - not a hard and fast number, but something I would like to stay relatively close to.

We will be 5 nights in Munich, 4 nights in Nuremberg, and 4 nights in Garmish.

Thanks.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM
aggiemom

Hi J

The only experience I have is Le Meridien in Munich, located right across the street from the main train station. Convenient S-Bahn and U-bahn nearby, too. Very lovely, new and modern. I paid 125 € this past May but have seen it for less on discount hotel websites.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions here by those more experienced.

Good luck!

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:07 PM

For Munich I prefer the Hotel Amba due to its location (near the train station). If you don't mind a short bus trip the Uhland (near the Oktoberfest grounds) is also good but a little farther but a little cheaper. For Garmisch perhaps the Hotel Zugspitz (probably not spelled right). We also use Best Western a lot in Europe & have always done well w/price & location w/their properties as well. I seem to recall one of those in Garmisch as well, although I've not stayed there...
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Last time I was in Munich we stayed in the Tulip Inn Munchen Center Concorde. It has a good location...very close to the marienplatz http://www.concorde-muenchen.de/
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Roter Hahn in Garmisch. What I really loved about it was the location, walking distance to everything you want to see and do. The rooms were a nice size with all modern amenities. There is also a beautiful pool that we enjoyed after our days of hiking. Also includes an elegant breakfest buffet.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM

GARMISCH: We have used a nice place called the HOTEL HILLEPRANDT in Garmisch a few times. Rooms 1 or 2 are both downstairs and open to a nice patio and yard. The hotel is located in a nice neighborhood not far from downtown Garmisch. It has been a few years since we were there, but the place is probably still very nice...and was not expensive. Did include breakfast as most places do.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Wew - just found this thread after scrolling and scrolling. Tried the search window and clicking on my name - got all sorts of other stuff, but not this thread.

Anyway...

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Really helpful.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:21 PM

We like to stay in the main train station are of Munich because it is close to the fussganger zone and to transportation by S-, U- bahns or even trollys and trains. We prefer the Drei Lowen whice is a block from the train station. Check OctopusTravel.com to see pictures of some of the hotels.