Search

Hotels in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Rome

We are a couple in our late '50s going to Rome for the first time in March. We're looking for a room in a hotel that would cost about $100 to $125 per night (or less). Something near all the major attractions. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 11:30 AM

You have literally hundreds of options and wanting something near all the major attractions doesn't narrow it down at all. You'll need to be a bit more specific in your request. Have you done any research and could possibly ask about some specific hotels you're interested in to get feedback on them? There are major chain hotels to choose from (Best Western, for example), Boutique hotels, B&B's for starters.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 11:51 AM

Nothing is near all of the major attractions:

Vatican City is on the far side of the Tiber from the historic center

Borghese Gallery is far up one of the hills in the other direction)

(Rome is quite hilly - as in the 7 hills of Rome)

I would start a search near the historic center to have best access to restaurants and cute areas to walk around in the evening (You may get warmish weather even in March)
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM

Do you want a private bathroom?
May be tough at that price range.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM

I'd suggest looking at Venere.com for options. You can indicate a price range and neighborhood. You may have to up to the price range a bit to get a clean and well located spot.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that for that price, really central hotels - eg piazza navona, pantheon, campo dei fiori areas - are going to be too expensive. if you are going for 3 nights or more, you might like to consider an apartment, which tend to be cheaper, and enable you to save money on food during your trip. alternatively, you could stay somewhere slightly out of the centre - last February we stayed at a hotel round the back of the Vatican; it was on a major bus route, and near a train station, so it was easy to get around, though we walked a lot as well.

it was very clean and modern too, with decent breakfasts including really good coffee:

http://www.hotelgravinasanpietro.it/

at the moment their website is showing double rooms in March starting at €85 per night, which i think is within your price range.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Hotel Gravina San Pietro looks promising.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hotel Gravina San Pietro looks promising.>>

i forgot to mention that some rooms have a view of the Dome of St. Peters - I never got tired of seeing it as we walked "home" from our language school or our evening meal.

click on my screen name for my trip report of our week in Rome last February to see what I thought about the hotel and the area at the time.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 09:08 AM

We (late 50's couple too) stayed at the Aberdeen Hotel in Rome last July and were able to walk to all the attractions (we like walking). The hotel is located near the Termini train station and a subway station, so if you don't want to walk, there's public transportation easily available. The rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable. The staff is amazing. The Rick Steves rates on their website (available to everyone) are showing a rate of 75 euros (just over $100) for most nights in March.