hotels in Ortygia and Palermo, Sicily

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and thanks to those who were so helpful with my decision on whether to stay in Palermo (I'm going with YES).

Now, for lodging: I'd love to hear from any of you Fodorites have stayed in - and liked- either:
Ai Cartari
or Hotel Ucciardhome

and in Ortygia, either:
L'approdo Delle Sirene
or B&B Ortigiaseaview.

I read tripadvisor obsessively, so I've seen all the reviews...but I give extra weight to opinions from this board.

Thanks!
Laura
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM

Ah Ortigia.............my personal favorites to stay there would be Hotel Gutkowski or Domas Mariae for being more reasonable than the Grand,etc.,love the location and thought that the staff were great!The seaview rooms were great. My daughter just spent the last 4 months on Ortigia studying abroad but am not familar with either place you wrote about. Trust me,you won't want to leave!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
bellastarr

I just came back from Palermo and had made reservations at Ai Cartari.
I had sent my credit card information, and spoken to Rosiloria on the phone, and was assured everything was OK.
Then, when I called from Lipari the day before, she told me she had no room! This was highly unnerving because I was traveling alone, and it would be my first trip to Palermo.
I expressed my extreme displeasure (toput it mildly) and she found me a room at this B and B off of Via Roma, which I loved! You can google it.
The sisters (no, not nuns, sisters in the same family) are both lovely and the B and B is really just a warm and welcoming (and elegant) former family home. It's on a little street just off Via Roma.

B&B di charme Palazzo Amari Bajardi

A single is 75 E. I think it's worth checking out. The sisters don't speak English, but are friends of Rosilorio at the Ai Cartari, so maybe she can help if you don't speak Italian.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM

Hi Can you help, please? Am also looking for advice on a 4 day trip for husband and I to Sicily in May next year. Will fly into Palermo late Monday evening and have to be in Amalfi on Saturday. Am seeking advice on where to travel to, by car?, and where to stay. Was planning on 2 nights in Palermo as we will be flying from Australia, via London and Milan and will be very tired on arrival. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks! Bonnie
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:28 PM
bellastarr

Hi Bonnie-
I don't have very much experience in Palermo (it was my first trip there, so others might be better with hotel suggestions. I can offer two suggestions which may help.

1- Since you will be extremely tired on arrival, Here is the name of a reliable 24 hour taxi service to take you from the airport to your hotel. I think this would be the very best, least stressful way for you to arrive. I think the price could be about 40 Euros or so, but you can establish that by fax ahead of time. They can meet you at the airport.
Cooperativa Radio Taxi Trinacria
Via Leonardo da Vinci, 111
Tel: (39)(italy's country code) 091 22 54 55
Fax: 091 22 54 36

I met one of their drivers who came to pick up another guest at my B&B, and the owners of the B&B had called him, so I felt that was a confirmation that the service is a decent one.

Not many folks in Palermo speak fluent English, so if you decide to use a taxi, send a fax before and request a driver who can speak English ("un autista chi parla Inglese&quot (no guarantee that you'll get one though- it will depend on who's available).

The other suggestion is: If it were me, I would try to stay in the Centro Storico in Palermo for your first 2 nights.
My personal experience is limited to the B&B where I stayed, but there a was a lovely couple from New Zealand staying there who seemed quite happy with it. If you like having breakfast in the livingroom/dining room of an elegant and old apartment-it's a good place. There are several flights of beautiful marble stairs to climb, no lift. I would definitely stay there again. And it is convenient to the train station, just a 5-10 minute walk.

In walking around, I also saw Hotel Letizia, a small boutique hotel tucked into a fairly quiet street (Via Bottai) near The Giardino Garibaldi. It gets decent reviews on Tripadvisor, and looked very clean and comfortable. Lots of restaurants all around it.

Others with more experience driving in Sicily can help you with that plan.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:30 PM
bellastarr

OOPS, I screwed up the taxi website: it's www.radiotaxitrinacria.it

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:02 AM

I can honestly recommend Hotel Ambasciatori in Palermo - on Via Roma and only 5 minutes from the Train station and bus terminal. The staff at reception speak English fluently and are very helpful. The Hotel has a beautiful rooftop terrace where breakfast is served. You will find it on venere.com
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 02:57 AM

I second the suggestion for the Hotel Gutkowski in Ortygia. In Palermo check out the Hotel Joli. Loved both those places. And both have been stayed at by numerous people on this board, that's how I found them.