Reload this Page >

Bologna for Lunch?

Search

Bologna for Lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:31 AM
TonyMnLA

Bologna for Lunch?

My friends and I are going to train it from Venice to Florence and would like to know if anyone can suggest a lunch spot in Bologna.

We'll probably tuck the lugage in a locker in the train station then walk around a bit before getting on the next train to Florence.

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi T,

The Tamburini delicatessen at Via Caprarie 1.

We had a marvelous lunch on the terrace of Da Cesarina, across the piazza from San Stefano. Not inexpensive, but reasonable for what you get.

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM

No lockers in Bologna and that's no Bologney - but manual deposito des baggali (sp?) counters - and leave plenty and plenty of time to retrieve your bags (pay per piece) before your train as these places are notorious for slow shuffling service or no one being there for a while or long lines to retrieve. And there's a fairly nice cafeteria i believe right in the station.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:26 AM

We're having fun with your Bologna thread over on the US board.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM
TonyMnLA

ya ya - at my expense!

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM

We did what you are planning but were travelling Rome to Venice and it worked out fine. Stored our luggage at the train station w/o a problem as to slow service or availability. We were on foot and it is a fair hike to the center of town but the arcades are interesting and the city is certainly worth the effort.
I would second Ira's advice as we ate at the same restaurant, Da Cesarina on Via Stefano--very correct service and excellent food. One suggestion is if you are anticipating shopping at any of the many fine deli's in the city center, make sure you take note of their mid-day closing times. We wanted to stock up on take away options but got caught by their late afternoon re-openings to catch our next train. We're very glad we stopped in Bologna and will return again someday.
Paul
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM

TonyMnLA,
we went to Bologna for a day trip from Florence on a thursday,big dissapointment,a lot of restaurants including Da Cesarina closed on that day,also the morning walking tour not open thursday mornings.
Enjoy ,we did the tour ourselves,the tourist office is in the piazza in the center of town ,quite a walk from the train station.
We did find a restaurant open behind the piazza from the tourist office,dont remenber the name but quite good.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:02 AM
TonyMnLA

Ok - I'll have to check our schedule to make sure we're not in Bologna on a Thursday, that would suck!

Thanks for information. Even Rick Steves book on Italy has nothing on the city. Guess he didn't like it?

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I can't believe there's a guide book to Italy that doesn't mention Bologna. It's a very attractive city and is famous for its food. It's a great place to stop for lunch and it's difficult to go wrong with their food. There is a manual left luggage ("Deposito Bagagli&quot at the station: from the main ticket office, go out of the doors to the taxi ranks, then turn right and go in through another entrance. I've never had any delays there.
The street leading to the city centre has a sheltered walkway, lined with shops: it's cool on a hot sunny day and dry if it's raining. Many of the restaurants are up side streets. I've had good meals there but don't remember the names of the places.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Steves does not comprehensive guides of countries. Rather they are "Best of" guides and so often do not mention worthy locales.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM
TonyMnLA

GeoffHamer - THANKS!

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Bologna to me is one of Europe's most underrated cities - supposedly has Europe's largest single grouping of medieval buildings in its historic center. A prestigious university adds to the town's vibrosity.
Though i don't remember using Bologna's luggage depot i've had frustratingly long waits at many others - may depend on the season when lots of travelers are here however. I still suggest leaving plenty of time between bag retrieval and train.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Last week we saw the Samantha Brown Passport to Europe segment on Bologna, and now I am really eager to go there. It looks like a fine city, and I wonder why we don't hear about it more often.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Shhhh, don't tell the whole world about Bologna please or it will get overun with visitors like so many other places, lol. Part of the charm of Bologna is that it is not on everyone's "must see list". Underhill, I am sure you would truly love Bologna as well as the food!
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I will also be in Bologna on a short business trip. What a nice surprise that was.
My chance to enjoy the city will be in the evenings, and I am open to suggestions on wonderful restaurants not to miss.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
TonyMnLA

GeoffH - since you know the locker situation there do you know how large they are? Will they handle something of 2.5ft tall?

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM

It is a manual left luggage, meaning an attendant takes your bag and puts it on an appropriately-sized shelf with other bags--no lockers.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
TonyMnLA

Nice! I'll make sure to stuff my valuables next to my dirty laundry.

Thanks!

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM

I loved Bologna! I spent 3 nights and had a great time. Lots to see and do there.

Here's a link to my journal http://www.homestead.com/luvtotravel/ItalyJrnl06.html You can scroll down to May 15th to read about my time in Bologna.

As for restaurants, at the top of my journal is a restaurant link. You can scroll down that page to read about where I dined. I'm just drooling thinking of my meal at Trattoria Mariposa! Excellent lasagna Bolognese. Tiny restaurant and about a 15 minute walk from the train station (basically between the train station and main piazza. I did check out Tamburini and it's fabulous.

Monica
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Monica,
thank you for "your journal" and "sharing" the restaurants that you went to.
I am "doing my homework" on Bologna so I can cram in as much as I can, while on my business trip.
Everyone seems to enjoy visiting Bologna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -