hotels in Naxos

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:31 PM
terrier

hotels in Naxos

Can anyone give a review of Hotel Grotta or Porto Naxos Hotel (both in Naxos)? Or any other nice hotel in Naxos?

Thanks for all your help!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 01:46 PM
bettina

Chateau Zevgoli was glorious-- a beautifully decorated villa where each room is different, a great rooftop area where we could drink wine and watch the sun set, and best of all, easy walking distance to every part of Naxos town.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:07 PM
kelly

I agree with the previous post....Chateau Zevgoli is very quaint in the right part of town, has a great roof top sitting area and the staff are very nice. It should be noted that some of their rooms are tiny and the beds are hard as rocks.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:40 AM
kat

we stayed at the Chateau Zevgoli 2 weeks ago and I fully agree - very charming and original place right in the center of Naxos. The best room is definitely #8 - with its own private terrace and a 4-poster bed. We had a little accident so we had to interrup our planned holiady and go back to AThens for a small operation , come back to Naxos and go back to athens again etc. and the staff was very friendly and helpful. we could leave our luggage at the hotel while we went to athens, and they were genuinely concerned. because of this accident we had to improvise our stay quite a bit and actually stayed in 3 different rooms, and all of them were lovely. I just would avoid the ones right on top because they do get hot during the day. the rooms all have a/c, but the ones situated at the lower levels keep quite cool during the day anyway.

but you asked about the Grotta.... we did not see it, but saw its location on the map, and its a bit "away" from the action, you may need to walk 5 to 10 minutes to go to the restaurant areas and the center in the evening. it is close to the Grotta beach, but then, the Grotta beach is also not the most beautiful beach in Naxos. I would rather chose a really nice place in the center, the atmosphere is worthwhile trying it out!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:50 AM
Sue

How much was a double room in Chateau Zevgoli, and do they have a website?
Thank you!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
kat

Sue,
we paid 65 euros for a dble with bkfast (and after having seen what is called "breakfast" in some Greek hotels I have to say the Zevgoli's is delicious and generous - even got fresh Greek yoghurt with honey!). I don't think they have their own website, but are in a lot of other websites, such as this one:

http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/naxos/chora/home.htm

but also just by doing a search on altavista or smthing similar you find a lot of info and pictures on this hotel.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:26 PM
Sue

Thanks, Kat; good to hear that Greece is still relatively inexpensive. I've been trying to get a lg. family trip to Gr. and islands for a couple of years now, and the young folks are always interested in saving money. It sounds lovely, as does the whole island; have only been to Mykonos, Santorini, and Crete. Considered Paros for this trip, but got info on here that Naxos is better these days.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:31 PM
Kay

We stayed at Hotel Grotta on Naxos about 3 years ago. Liked the hotel, the only downside was it's a bit far out of town, about 10 min walk, it's up on a headland overlooking the town. If we stayed on Naxos again, I'd stay right in town. The family that owned and ran Hotel Grotta were lovely, very friendly and helpful. Our room was basic, clean and bright with a large balcony. View of the town from the roof was wonderful. Breakfast was really good. The beach near Hotel Grotta is all stones. There are sandy beaches on the other side of the town.
Kay