Naxos Hotels-Naxos Royal Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Naxos Royal Hotel? Any insight into whether it is a good place to stay? We are a couple in our 50's . We like to have a room with a veiw with places to walk to. We have varying tastes as to what we like in a hotel and are flexible. We love small hotels run by families that have a local flavor, but we also enjoy fancier hotels with luxury accomadations, as long as they aren't stuffy. . We are pretty flexible.

Any insights into the Naxos Royal Hotel , as well as any sugestions about other places to stay would be great. We will be in Naxos for 3 days the first week of May.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Naxos Royale is located about 30 meters from St George beach on the edge of Naxos town. Not too many rooms have beach views but the pool does have a good view. In my opinion St George beach is the best place to stay in Naxos as you get a beach experience only minutes from the dining and shopping of Naxos town. At night it will be quiet something that is so important in Greece.
Naxos Royale is a fairly new hotel and is quite luxurious for Naxos. I think it is one of the best hotels on the island and the best thing is in May it is shoulder season so the price is very reasonable. You have made a very good choice.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reassuraing response. I have gone back and read a lot of your posts on Naxois. They have been very helpful.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM

You are welcome. We love Naxos and are pleased to share so others can have a great trip as well.
I don't know if you saw an address for our pictures of Naxos but here it is.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM

If you are looking for a lovely, inexpensive, family run hotel, look no further than the Hotel Galini & Sofia, and ask for the room at the top floor!

http://www.hotelgalini.com/hotel/ind...tel/index.html

This hotel could not have been more wonderful... clean, friendly, and ideally located. The top room is the only room on that floor, and you get a whole huge deck to enjoy all to yourself, with a view out over the beach and an adorable little white church.

This hotel was my favorite of everywhere we stayed in Greece. Another nice thing is that it is the last hotel at the end of St. George's Beach, so it is so easy to find when you return from walking around the city, or from a long day of driving and exploring the island.

Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...3517-Reviews-H
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Stanbr,

Due to much you have written about Naxos, we have extended our stay on Naxos to 4 nights (rather than our original 3). Although I was ready to book our stay at the Naxos Royal Hotel, now I am concerned it is not the best choice for us after reading reports of a lack of a sea veiw. We don't need the fanciest hotel but we so enjoy having a seaveiw from our balcony. I know you have written that why is a sea veiw so important when you are so close to the beach. But in reality we don't expect to spend much time on the beach, but want to be able to enjoy seeing it first thing in the morning and lkast thing at night. A small family run place or boutique kind of hotel is also great. We enjoy that personal feel of a small family run hotel. What would you reccommend as a place with a great sea veiw but walkable to Naxos town?

loved your photos.

Thank you for all your advice.

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM

Naxos Royal is by far the classiest hotel near St George beach and in fact a few rooms probably do have an ocean view but for the most part the view is blocked by Hotel Illion just in front of it.
Our favorite hotel on St George beach is Hotel Glaros. It is family run and was actually the first hotel on the beach. It is small with probably no more than 14 rooms. Most of the rooms are quite small but all have a balcony ( big enough for two chairs and a table) looking directly onto the ocean. It serves a nice breakfast on a terrace overlooking the sea. There are three deluxe rooms on the top floor with a huge shared balcony, which are larger and better appointed and about 10 euros per night more expensive. Since the Michelin guide mentioned Glaros it can be hard to book.
It is reasonably priced.

A second hotel which is right on the beach is Hotel Astoria. The beach boardwalk is all that separates this hotel from the beach. For some reason it doesn't appeal to me probably because it is so close to the beach there doesn't look like there is privacy, however it is the closest hotel to the beach.
You will see mention of Hotel Galini and Sofia above. Traveller jan who often posts here stayed there last year and quite liked it. We visited her att eh hotel and it is quite nice. It is about 30 steps from Glaros but further up teh road. Some rooms do have an ocean view out the other side away from St George beach. The other two hotels certainly have better sea views.
hotelasteria.com and hotelglaros.com for more info.

Here are our pictures of Hotel Glaros. The pictures are basically from the patio outside the deluxe rooms.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/106...44743536oyTAdF
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

I am beginning to think what we want is the Hotel Glaros. Perhaps Galini. The veiw is really important to us. Guess that may seem strange, but we love getting up in the morning and looking out from our balcony and seeing the sea. Or going home after walking through town and as we are changing for dinner to be able to look out and see the water. The classiest hotel is not necessary for us (though sometimes that is the best choice to meet our needs). In addition, we have often had some of our best stays at small family run hotels.

Wonder why you dont reccommend the Hotel Illion that you mention is in front of the Naxos Royal, and hence blocking the veiw. Surely the Illion must have a good veiw.

Thank you for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Illion is owned by an absentee landlord who arrives late in the shoulder season and is just opening the hotel up at the end of the first week of June.
Your timing just doesn't fit. besides the owners of Galini and Glaros are both local and are open early in the season.
If you choose Galini you must be sure to get that top floor room because there are not many rooms with an ocean view as you have described it.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Dear Stanbr,

I can not express how much I appreciate all your information and expertise on Noxos. In addition, I realize you must spend and unbelievable amount of time posting answers on this and other message baoads to keep all us uninformed more infomed. So, I want to say thank you, I for one, am most appreciative. Hotel Glaros has not yet answered my e-mail. I will e-mail Galini today. If by waiting so long I miss out on all these places as well as Naxos Royal, I will be back asking you for advice on those accomadations still available. Although we are willing to pay for the perfect accomadation (in our eyes) we are also flexible and can be happy in a lot of different types of accomadations. Again thank you

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM

You are welcome. I think it is important to share our travel experiences. We look forward to hearing from you when you return.

While you are on Naxos look for the Venetian Museum. It is a privately owned home just inside the Kastro gate. The home has been in the family for several hundred years. It provides a taste of what it was like to live there. The museum also has concerts most evenings out on the big patio just at sunset.
From the Museum it is a fairly direct route to our favorite restaurant. Walk down the front steps of the museum, turn right away from the gate. Walk about 50 meters. You will come to a large arched gateway which branches out in several directions. Walk to the right and down. After about 30 meters you will veer left and exit the Kastro through another gate and you will enter a square with a marble bust statue in it. This is Taverna to Kastro. Look for the bearded host that is Soulis. His taverna is on the face side of the statue. There is a second taverna in the square behind the statue. It is not nearly as good at Taverna to Kastro. Don't be fooled and go to the wrong one.
There are many good places to eat in Naxos but if you can find this one you will return again.
Also look for the baker in the old market area of Naxos town. You enter from the waterfront beside the fancy liquor store. There is a map painted on the wall at the entrance. This bakery uses a wood fired oven and the bread that comes out of it is unbelievable. His sweet breads and small loves covered in sesame seeds are just OK but we would walk two kilometers every day for one of his regular loaves.