Hotels in Milan

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in Milan

We're a mother and daughter (daughter in mid 20's) going to Milan for some furniture shopping and spending some mother-daughter time!

I wanted to see if anyone could give us some advise for a good hotel to stay? We're not looking for something cheap, but something about $200-$350 a night that's worth the price.

Any information would be apprecited. Also if you could tell us what locations are good for furniture shopping or where the stores are it would perfect! THANKS!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:03 PM
italianconcierge

Located not far from the Duomo is the four star, Hotel Spadari on the Via Spadari. A chic newer hotel adjacent to the FFamous Peck's grocery store. A good neighbor hood to feel safe walking in as well.

Less expensive but with lots of charm is the Locanda Solferino on Via Castelfidardo 2 ( was Musollini's ex mistress's) a chaming 2 star( no elevator).only 10 rooms, antique furniture but book ahead they sell out. Can't help with the furniture but if you are looking for outlets for shoes and clothing just ask.
Buon viaggio
IC

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:53 AM

Many retail furniture studios and shops can be found along Via Brera in central Milan. However, you probably want a furniture outlet, rather than a retail shop where you will pay retail prices. I will check around with Milanese friends to see if they have any recommendations.

You should probably buy Born to Shop Italy by Suzy Gershman, which has a special sections on discount stores, outlets, shipping, etc. I find her books accurate and helpful.

I assume you live in the US and have done a lot of shopping to see prices, and have determined that even with the weak dollar, the high cost of shipping individual pieces to the US, and the customs duty you will have to pay when the furniture arrives in the US, it will be cheaper to buy in Italy. I live in Europe, and would not think this would be the case, as US furniture companies can buy in can get volume discounts for shipping. I would be curious to know how the total costs compare.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:45 PM

For something a little different, check out the antique/flea market, held, I think, on the last Sunday of the month. It is along both sides of a canal in the Navigli Ticinese area (near the Porta Genova train station). Very lively, some antiques, some junk, great people watching and restaurants nearby. Not the Milan contemporary furniture scene, but very fun.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

I am from the US and the prices are not only really high here, but there aren't enough stores to get an idea of what I am buying. Especially for contemporary furniture. I am from around Washington DC and we only have a few good contemporary stores and they mostly offer the catalog and don't have models in their showroom. Not a fan of buying without seeing the items first.

So I thought it would be a good chance to see some of these furnitures up close and get some prices. Then even if the price doesn't work I can order them back here but at least I have seen them

I also tried New York City and some neighboring areas but I keep hearing that Milan is the furniture capitol so I thought since its off season it might be worth the trip!

So any idea about the stores in and around the city and any shopping advice would be well appreciated.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 08:44 PM

I haven't visited Milan yet and I was planning to do so this year with my family. Unfortunately reality has changed for us and we cannot go as planned. But the hotel I had booked (and have canceled with much disappointment) was the only one I felt really comfortable with just by communicating with its staff. It's the Hotel Spadari al Duomo that was recommended already. I think you and your mother would like it. It is close to the Duomo and like someone mentioned, Peck.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:02 PM

The Spardari is always nice, but if your budget permits, a new Park Hyatt opened up in the center just recenlty and is really nice.
I just wanted to mention that a lot of furniture shops are outside of Milan in the surrounding countryside. Look at www.vago.com for some ideas of modern Italian furniture and location. They are in the surrounding Lake Como area like many others.
Ciao, Melissa