Hever vs Bodiam Castle by Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of these two castles would be easier to reach by train? We will probably have time to visit only one. Also, since we will be visiting in early March, does anyone know if both of these will be open to touristsat that time of year?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:09 PM

I don't know which would be easier to reach by train, but Hever castle is much the most interesting of the two.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Well, I'm not sure I agree w/ Underhill. They are totally different but both are REALLY interesting. Bodiam is like the prototypical medieval moated castle. it has a fairy tale setting in the middle of the moat.

Hever is more like a castle/palace with ornate interiors and a wonderful garden.

Both are open daily in March. Hever would be the easier to visit by train (but only a little easier). The station at Edenbridge is 3 miles from Hever and you can take a taxi to the castle. The nearest station to Bodiam is about 5 or 6 miles away.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Hever, however, might have the ghost of poor Ann Boleyn.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. You make me wish we had time for both, but since we will have only one afternoon, I think we will opt for Hever. I've read so much about Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, it will probably be the most interesting to me. However, am I limiting myself by asking about just these 2 castles? Are there any others you would recommend instead? We visited Dover Castle in 1992 and enjoyed it very much, but this time, I want to do a different time period.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM

If you limit your selves to train/bus travel you probably won't have time to visit more than one and Hever is wonderful.

But if you could rent a car for a day, you would have plenty of time to visit Hever, Chartwell and Penshurst Place. These three are all VERY different, and are quite close to each other.