warwick or windsor castle

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:44 PM
ann

warwick or windsor castle

Another question about Windsor versus Hampton Court has now got me thinking about Warwick Castle. I was leaning towards Windsor as it seems more like a medieval "castle" as oppossed to a "palace" which Hampton seems, but in doing a search here on castles Warwick keeps popping up. I realize Warwick if a longer train trip (I think almost two hours, versus half an hour for Windsor, is that correct?) I've heard Windsor also has a nice town which is a point in its favor as far as I'm concerned. So my questions are:

Does Warwick also have a nice town/village area to visit, some place that would give a feel for a "quaint" English town? In your opinion, which town is better (just for wandering, getting a feel, not for shopping or anything).

Which one is going to feel/look more like a traditional, story book type castle?

How far are either of them from the train station?

Thanks

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Lisa

I have travelled both to Windsor Castle and Warwick Castle. Windor from the outside is more of a fortress-like castle, and Warick is more palace-like (Victorian decor inside). When I was at Windsor you could not go inside the castle - not sure if that is still the case. Warwick has a wonderfully open, allowing for a leisurely grand tour of a great deal of the castle and grounds. Helpful and quintessentially British guide are posted throughout to answer any questions and relay the castle's anecdotal history. Windsor is a lovely little town, but I prefer Warwick on this point as well. The cobblestoned streets wind up, down and around. Some of the oldest buildings have stone walls that bulge and curve with the weight of so many centuries passed. I could wander for ages in such a town.

Hope this helps!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:23 PM
uncle sam

One quick point to add:

1. Windsor is actually in a nice town with nice shops, pubs etc. some of the buildings date to before 1400.

2. Warwick is out in the country so to speak.

US

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:24 PM
uncle sam

And Windsor is about one block from the train station. We went to Warwick by car.

US

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:21 AM
ann

Thanks for the replies. But now I'm still confused as Lisa says there is a lovely town and uncle sam says it's out in the country. Has anyone been there by train? I'm not afraid of walking but if Warwick Castle is so far from the town (and train station) that it requires a taxi or bus I'd like to know that.

Also, do either of these castles allow you to wander around on your own or do you have to take a guided tour? Thanks

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:28 AM
jw

Hi Ann, I can't recall much about either town, but I enjoyed my visit to Warwick castle much more than Windsor. Yes, you can wander on your own, and I think our access to the castle was greater than Windsor. J.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Danyell

Hi Ann. I was just in England this past summer, close to Warwick. Warwick is a nice town to walk through but if I remember correctly it is easier to get to the castle by car than walking to it.The castle in Warwick is very Accesible. You do not have to be in a tour group or walk around with a tour guide. You are able to walk at your own pace. Have fun.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Karen

Years ago we took the Green Line bus from Victoria Station(as I remember) and did both Windsor and Hampton on the same day. The bus dropped us off right in front of the castle and we walked in and also had time to walk around the town a bit and then went back to the bus stop and continued onto Hampton Court...came back into London in very late afternoon.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:18 AM
janis

Contrary to others - Visiting Warwick does not require a car. Warwick Castle is practically in the center of town. It is less than 50 yards from the outer gate into the best part of the town for tourists. But the train station is not in the center of town - so you would either have a bit of a walk or a very inexpensive taxi or bus ride.

Windsor's two train stations are in the center of things.

Both towns are great - lots of small antique shops and restaurants. Both are on rivers. (Thames and Avon) Both have several other sites to explore: Windsor = Eton and Windsor Great Park; Warwick = Lord Leycester Hospital (not a hospital but a terrific medieval hostel on the city wall) and St Mary's church and especially the Beauchamp Chapel.

Both are fortified castles with magnificent state rooms. Warwick also has an Edwardian suite of rooms in the old private apartments.

Windsor is more "look-don't touch", Warwick is "look-don't touch" but also gives you the opportunity to climb the walls and towers, go down into the dungeon, etc

Both are worth a special trip. Warwick has probably more diverse interest. Windsor has the Royal connections.

If your time is limited - go to Windsor, If you have all day go to Warwick.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Lori

Warwick Castle is about 15 min. walk from the train station,we've done it and it took about that walking at a rather slow pace too! You can buy a combined castle/train ticket at Marylebone Station and safe a couple of pounds vs. buying the separately. Warwick is "out in the country",but it is on a hill in the town of Warwick with lovely views to the countryside. You can easily spend all day there, it's beautiful - also get a chance to see the countryside, with Windsor you are practically in London and there are planes landing at Heathrow right over your head. The train ride to WArwick takes 90 min. and you do need to figure all day for the visit I think. There are shops, cafe's etc. in town and several places to eat at the castle itself. Personally, we loved Warwick Castle, also adored Hampton Court.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:53 AM
ann

Thanks everyone, I'm now definitly planning to go to Warwick Castle. Can't wait, it fact it's now going to be my first day trip (will be in London 8 nights and am also planning one day in Bath and one in Oxford or Cambrige). I'm assuming that as with most day trips from London, I can just go to the train station (in this case Marylebone) that morning and buy a ticket. Is that right? Thanks again.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:32 PM
xxx

Yes, Ann
On the day you want to travel just go to the proper train station for your destination and purchase a ticket. The best price would be the 'cheap' day return ticket, which is valid for travel after 9:30 AM.