Shopping in Italy

Search

Shopping in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Italy

I am going to Italy for a month this September for work and a holiday. I am going to Milan, Florence, Santa Margherita, Rome and the Amalfi Coast. I want to go shopping and am hoping someone can give me the names of some good shops. I am in my late 20s and love fashion (I work in fashion in Australia). I never shop here so really want to go crazy and buy all the things I can't find here, like really good designer shoes, handbags and clothes. I love mulberry, vivienne westwood, balenciaga etc... Can anyone help?
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:17 AM

I just bought this book for our trip:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

It is all about buying traditional Italian items all over the country and where to do so. It looks really good.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:11 AM

Go shopping in Milan. They have the finest selection.

You'll find that most major designers (not Viv W. or Mulberry) will have stores clustered around one area..think Prada, Gucci, LVMH group etc.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of finding British designers there. You'll find plenty of continental ones though. Why not treat yourself to two nights in London instead of Milan?
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM

suki_7, balenciaga died a lot of years ago...you can't buy his clothes. There's a museum with them here in Spain in his birthplace, Getaria
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:05 AM

Off on a tangent..it's very interesting to note that most El Corte Ingles stores carry Balenciaga shoes..even the non designery branches.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

Yes, m_kingdom2 There are Balenciaga shoes in other shops too, but it's not a brand name, it's just a type of shoes that look like the exclusive ones Balenciaga did
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 01:37 PM

I just saw a program about Emilio Pucci. Gosh, I wish I could remember all the exact "who's and what's", I was multi-tasking at the time and not very well I guess. I remember his designs from the 60's, and all the knock-offs of course. Had one myself...a knock-off that is. They have rooms full of his original gowns all lovingly stored..I don't know if it was his daughter, or who exactly, runs the museum. Those gowns, the colors, the hand beading, were just unbelievable..works of art. They also showed some of the current fashions and I loved them. So feminine, light flowing materials. His patterns of course would not appeal to all but I remember his influence and even though Mr. Pucci has passed away, I was glad to see his dresses were treasured and that his designs live on. Don't know if his designs would interest you, but the "house of Pucci" is alive and well.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

i was actually hoping that someone might know of some nice boutique type fashion stores. Every city has its hips shops, it's just a matter of finding out where they are.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Hi Suki,

Some great books you should check out regarding up-to-date Italian shopping information are: the "Time Out" series -- They do one for the major cities like "Time Out: Rome" and "Time Out: Milan." This guide is updated regularly and features some of the lesser-known shopping neighborhoods aside from the usual high-end designer goods.

"Born To Shop: Italy" by Suzy Gershman may also be helpful, but they do not cover as many of the younger "hip" places you are searching for.

I have used both guides for France and Italy, and have made many new discoveries that way. Have a great time. Italy is GORGEOUS!