Notices

Hotels around Waterloo Station

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels around Waterloo Station

My family and I will be visiting London in July. After a three day trip to Paris, we are returning to London, staying overnight, and then going north to visit friends. Can anyone reommend a hotel close to Waterloo Station as we will be arriving late at night? I have only been able to find one, Novotel, but am hoping there are other, more reasonable options. Would prefer to spend around 100 GBP. Without knowing London, it is hard to locate hotels in this area. Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM

The Marriott County Hall is right there by Westminster Bridge, but I don't know if you can get in for £100.

We've used the Days Inn Waterloo, which is a 5-minute ride from the station. It's clean and modern, but not particularly spacious. Here's a map:

http://tinyurl.com/nujyy
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Within 5 minutes walk of Waterloo Station is County Hall on the banks of the River Thames right by the London Eye and opposite the Houses of Parliament.

The County Hall is actually 2 hotels - the side nearest Waterloo station is the Premier Travel Inn County Hall which will cost you around 90 GBP per night, and they have family (quad) rooms. Clean and adequate and good value for the location and price. More expensive is the Marriott County Hall next door, bur I don't think they do quad rooms, though because I am always on a budget I have not researched there.

Travel Inn info at:

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/...?hotelId=23881

BTW, this hotel gets booked up VERY quickly, so do not delay in booking a family room if they still have one available now. You can cancel up to 4pm the day before at no cost to yourself if you find a better deal or change plans.

Have a great trip!
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Julia, but after checking, they don't have anything available. Too bad, as that would've been perfect. I even phoned the hotel directly!
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM

A little further down on the River Thames is the 4* Riverbank Plaza Hotel which I got on Priceline for 110 USD. I hadn't planned on taking a cab to Waterloo but I overslept and I was an hour behind schedule and thought I was going to miss my train to Paris. The 5 minute cabride cost me around 6 GPB.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

I tried the Riverbank Plaza, but couldn't find a site offering it for less than 200gbp. Because we are arriving late at night and leaving early in the morning, we don't need anything fancy, just a place to rest for the night. Thanks for trying.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Am beginning to feel like Mary and Joseph....no rooms at the Days Inn either! The Marriott is way too costly.
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Will you be driving or taking train to the north next morning? If you plan to take train, most trains will be leaving from Kings Cross or Euston Stations, an alternative: from Londontown site, they offer Hilton Euston around 80 pounds per night.

Or you might try some place around Trafalgar Square (across the Thames), once, I picked my parents up from Waterloo, then cab to Thistle charing Cross hotel, it costed around 5-6 pounds.
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Try biddingfortravel.com to see how to exploit priceline.com for maximum value. Since you're coming in on the Eurostar, you have plenty of time to get anywhere in town by Tube (unless you're on the last train on Sunday), so finding someplace close to Waterloo shouldn't be a constraint.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 1 Post
you say "late at night" - just how late do you mean?. If before 11:00 or midnight I wouldn't even worry about staying near Waterloo.

Cabs will get you anywhere - so you can have your pick of hotels anywhere in central London.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM

You could also try looking at

www.lastminute.com

I've used them in the past and found good deals.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:48 AM

You could also look on www.londontown.com