Hotel Virginia in Rome

Search

Hotel Virginia in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Virginia in Rome

Has anyone stayed here? It is near the train station. Can anyone tell me about the area? Is it safe to go from here to see the Trevi Fountain at night?
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:34 AM
LJ

You will find previous discussions of various aspects of the area on threads with the word "termini" in them.

I've never heard of this particular hotel, but I like the area for its proximity to the Opera, train/bus service out of Rome and markets that cater to the people who live and work in the city. A bit of real residential working class Rome that makes it interesting and untouristy. There are those that find it grim and charmless for the same reasons.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Rome over 20 years ago and stayed just beyond the train station. We did not really care for much of Rome then. I remember always going to places.

Last year we were in Rome only because we wanted to go back to Sorrento. We gave Rome another chance.

We spent a coupld of days in Rome directly beside the Fountain of Trevi and upon returning from Sorrento, a couple of days directly behind the Pantheon.

What a difference!!!

Instead of going places were in the middle of the places!!!

A short walk everywhere; Spanish Steps, Fountain, Pantehon, Piazza Navona, back to the Forum and Coloseum, etc.

Stay in the middle of it.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 02:32 PM

"Can anyone tell me about the area?"
Provided you are not a "Vestal Virgin" who has broken or has been accused of breaking her vow of chastity you should have no problems in this area.
The hotel is ~500m north of the train station, the area is fine and a safe walk to Trevi day or night.
I've spent 2 months in 6 trips since '96 close-by Termini, even on the south (so called seedy) side and saw nothing that made me feel unsafe at any time. And your hotel is a distance away from that area anyway.
~275m NW of your hotel near the corner of Via Goito & Via 20 Settembre (one modern historian places the location under the Farmacia [pharmacy with a green cross sign] nearby on Via 20 Settembre) is where they would entomb the Vestals for breaking their vows.
Plutarch: "The Vestal convicted of incest (i.e. breaking the vow of chastity) is buried alive in the neighborhood of the Porta Collina, under the Agger of Servius Tullius. Here is a crypt, small in size, with an opening in the vault, through which the ladder is lowered; it is furnished with a bed, an oil lamp, and a few scanty provisions, such as bread, water, milk, and oil".
Just alittle tidbit about the neighborhood, Have a wonderful trip. Regards, Walter
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Walter,
You are too funny and informative. I thank you for easing my mind. I will keep my reservation at the Virginia. Do you know how long it takes to walk to Piazza Novona from there? Is it better to take a bus?

Myers,
I have tried to find a hotel in my price range closer to the Trevi, but have not found any vacancies.

Thanks everyone.....
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:28 AM

Have you thought about renting an apartment? I have looked at vrbo.com and greatrentals.com and they both have some good prices and locations. Have a great time in Rome!
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 10:00 AM

JandaO: "As the crow flies" it's ~3.1km/~1.9m from your hotel to the Piazza Navona.
You can get decent bus service in the area of your hotel, if you want to save your feet.
Pick-up a bus/metro map at a newstand esp one in a tourist area or in and around Termini, it will say "ROMA METRO-BUS".
Your best bet to avoid confusion with returning buses with the same number is to walk up to Via Palestro and then over to Via XX (or 20) Settembre and cross the street and look for the numbered bus stop signs. These buses will be heading to the sites in the center. These buses will be returning on Via Cernaia 1 block over from your hotel.
Piazza *Venezia* is a bus hub located between the Colosseum and Piazza Navona and close to the Forum.
Largo d. Torre *Argentina* is another bus hub located ~300m South of the Pantheon and walking distance to the Piazza Navona.
Bus #60 will take you to *Venezia*, then past the Forum entrance on Via d. Fori Imperiali, around the Colosseum and over to the Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus).
Bus #61 will take you close to the Trevi Fountain as will Bus #62 which travel down Via D. Tritone, #62 then goes to *Venezia*.
Bus #62 then goes to *Argentina* and across the Tiber at "Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II" which is very close to St. Peters Sq.
Bus #84 goes down Via Cavour to the Forum entrance and then over to *Venezia*.
This bus runs a different route on my (outdated?) map but the ATAC website which is probably correct shows Bus #492 coming-up Via Volturno (look for the stop between Via Montebello and Cernaia), turning on Via Cernaia up to Via Palestro, over to Via XX Settembre then to *Venezia*, *Argentina* and over to within 1 block of Piazza Navona. On the map?? this bus continues across the Tiber to *very* close to the Vatican Museums. This would be an excellent bus if the website is correct. So if you see a sign for this bus on any of those streets mentioned above that means the website is correct and it will get you to the Piazza Navona and most likely to the Vatican area. Regards, Walter
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Walter,
You are a treasure!! Thank you so much for all the info and directions...
Janda