Hotel under 100 e. in Merida, Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling by car from Madrid to Seville in mid-Oct and would like to stop and spend the night in Merida. Can anyone recommend a hotel? We'd like to keep the price under 100 e.

We're open to suggestions if anyone has any better ideas of where to stop for the night. We'll be traveling with a toddler and don't want to spend all day in the car, hence the stop in Merida (or environs).

Thanks in advance,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM

Try bancotel.com or petrabrax.com
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM

there is a Parador there, try that first, those are normally the best. wont be under 100 but will surely be worth the splurge
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM

caceres is also great town near there. many nice 4 star hotels in both areas for 50 euros/night plus tax.
most of them are new.
can't go wrong.

check out the previously recommended www.bancotel.com website.

the paradores are also great and off season the prices may also be reasonable.

www.paradores.es

stop quickly at almagro on way down to sevilla also for a precious picturesque plaza and historic first theater for the classics in spain.
"el corral".

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM

Sandy: I visite4d the area in Spring - its wonderful! I only did a day-trip to Merida but would definately second the suggestion about staying at the Parador, which is on the edge of the beautiful town square and within your budget.

http://www.paradores-spain.com/spain/pmerida.html

I stayed in Caceres, another beautiful town with a lovely Parador and well worth a vist on your way to Merida.

If you search on "extramadura" you will find the trip report I posted.

regards ... Ger
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:30 PM

The toll-free number in the US for Petrabax is 888-427-7246. Luis was extremely helpful to me on our last trip to Spain--he's Spanish and really knows his country well!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions . . . I tried Petrabax and the posada had no availability for our date . . . I tried the hotels option and Merida is not listed. I tried Bancotel and they only quoted coupons, of which we don't have.

I guess we'll just have to go without reservations and try the tourist bureau when we get there.

Thanks too for the suggestion of trying Caceres . . . at this time, we're open to all suggestions.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:12 AM

You didn't mention when you would be traveling through the area. Mérida is fairly busy during certain seasons so you should plan ahead. According to the Official Hotel Guide all of the following hotels in Mérida are within your budget:

H. Nova Roma***, Suárez Somonte, 42 (www.novaroma.com)
H. Zeus***, Avda. Princessa Sofia, 8
H. Cervantes**, Camilo José Cela, 8 (www.hotelcervantes.com)
H. Lusitania**, Oviedo, 12

I would go with the Nova Roma or Zeus as the best options in Mérida. There are several 4-star hotels in the city, but all are outside of your budget range.

You might also try checking the Top Rural web site for other accommodations in the provinces of Badajoz or Cáceres. There are several to choose from and all will be within your budget: http://en.toprural.com/index.cfm
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:39 PM

you can also go to any travel agency anywhere in spain and ask them to find you a hotel with some type of voucher/bono system or reduced rate for any portion of your trip.
worth the 15 minute stop.. and perhaps a 3 euro booking fee.
there are many hotels for 50 euros/night or so if there is no convention in town those dates. even your large hypermarket "carrefour" has a travel agency...you will see these off main roads outside city centers.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Robert2533, I did a search on some of those hotels you suggested and they are a definite possibility. We have about decided to wait until we get there (Oct 19) and see what's available.

Thanks too to lincasanova, I would never have thought of stopping at a travel agency. I figured worst case, that we'd go to the tourist center.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM

i personally, would just get on the airport train to town as mentioned, very easy to find and use, because you would be in barcelona probably by the time you waited for the airport hotel shuttles, if they have them from all hotels.
the great city tour bus also leaves then from a stop at train station, so you could actually get a glimpse later of city if you had time.

i believe i saw a travel agency in train station. i don't think you will get anything very nice in barcelona for less than 80 euros/night centrally.

try the direct websites for www.ac-hotels.com, or www.solmeliahotels.com, nhhotels.com, you might come across a deal.

halcon viajes also has a lot of coupon/bono/voucher deals.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:29 PM

confused my post! getting late!!