Pension in Spain

Search

Pension in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pension in Spain

Several years ago when I went to Spain for the first time(Andalucia), I asked Fodorites where to stay in Spain amd was told "Pension". I did stay at a couple of pensions (one was in Nerja and I forget the other one), and I really enjoyed staying there. Now I am going back to Spain next year and would like to plan a route that allows me to stay in many more pensions than the last time. I've seen some messages here stating pension is not a good place to stay. Has anything changed in the last few years? I thought those pension hotels were really good, and I am looking forward to staying especially in pensions converted from old castles.

I could not find any Spanish pension web sites. Does anyone know the web site?

Tom
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:07 PM

Hi tominrm, I have not been to Spain but I have a beautiful book that was given to me about historical Paradors, that are old castles converted into lodgings. Is that the name you are looking for?

Just out of curiosity I went to Google and typed in "Spanish Paradors" in the search box and a lot of websites came up. If you do this you might find the information you are looking for. Best wishes.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:29 PM

There are some very nice family run pensions in spain .. buti am unaware of any websites for them. they can also be called "hostal". You can try www. madridman.com for good recommendations around madrid.

Also, the reconverted castles are paradors..
check out www.paradores.com

I would definitely not book pensions without recommendations as they can vary terribly in quality.

sorry i haven't much more info.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Soon after I uploaded my message I realized I've made a mistake-- I meant Parador, not pension. I should be able to find info on Parador easily. Thanks agin.

Tom
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:38 PM

Hi tominrm, also, check out www.likeathome.net/ You may find that interesting. Have a wonderful time in Spain!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:01 AM

You might consider a Parador 'package' deal for 5-nights, especially if you're not going at the height of the Tourist season. It can be econmoical and with lots of local color.

Me, I'm a Hostal or Pension person. It may be because I like to stay in cities rather than out in the 'boonies' where the Government built Paradores Nacionales to promote tourism. And I like to stay 'on the cheap!' But I have stayed at Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos in Santiago de Compostela and (many years ago) Parador de Gil Blas in Santillana del mar: definitely not for the Budget Traveler.