Hotel to replace Electra Palace

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:04 PM
amy

Hotel to replace Electra Palace

The web site says Electra Palace is closed until the end of May. Any recommendations for a comparative hotel during the third week of May? Acropolis View didn't look as nice. <BR><BR>Thanks! This is our first trip to Greece!<BR>Amy

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Erica B

Herodion Hotel is a good value. Rooms range from somewhat small to quite spacious, all with modern amenities. Location is good. VERY close to Acropolis and short walk to the Plaka. Lovely view from the rooftop balcony of the Parthenon at night. Price at end of May 2001 was equivalent to USD $125 per night.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Christian

Erica<BR><BR>would you consider the Herodion to be a better hotel than the Divani Palace hotel? I also wanted to stay at the Electra but had the same problem.<BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR>Christian

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Erica B

Hi Christian,<BR><BR>Sorry but I'm not familiar with Divani Palace Hotel. Herodion was recommended to me by Dolphin Hellas (an Athens travel agency) because I too couldn't get into Electra Palace. Perhaps you could check with the agency for a comparison - I found them via a link in Matt Barrett's website.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:38 PM
carolina

Your choice is really between a less central hotel with a pool etc or one that is more convenient for walking round the sites, restaurants etc. I stay centrally but follow Athens with time by a beach so pool etc not that important for me.<BR>If you want something central, I would recommend the Athens Gate which is a short walk from the Plaka and close to the National Gardens. The rooms are ok but nothing special, the rooftop restaurant / bar is fantastic. It is also pretty reasonably priced.<BR>Re. more expensive / plusher hotels, look at the dilos hotels web site.<BR>Finally, don't be tempted by anything anywhere near Omonia Square - some nice hotels but dodgy area.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Carol

I have stayed at all three of the hotels mentioned - the Divani Palace (3 times, the Electra Palace and the Herodion one time each.<BR><BR>LOVE the Electra Palace, but since it's not available, I'd probably stay at the Herodion. It's in about the same location as the Divani Palace (they are just a block or two apart) and both are in easy walking distance to Plaka. The Divani is nice enough, and it was once rated a Deluxe hotel, but it truly isn't. It's just a decent hotel with a good restaurant. The Herodion staff is nicer, I think, and the hotel in general has a very nice ambiance about it.<BR><BR>If you want a nice budget hotel, I'd recommend the Hotel Philippos. It's owned by the same people as the Herodion, and it's located just around the corner from the Herodion. It's a small hotel - rooms on the top floors have the best views - some with HUGE terraces - many with terraces larger than the room! Nice breakfast and very nice staff. I think it runs about $95/night........and when I can't get the Electra Palace, I usually stay there. Good luck, and have fun!