Hotels in Athen

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Christian

Hotels in Athen

Any recommendations for a nice hotel w/ a view in Athens, i'm only staying for one night before going to the Cyclades<BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR>CC

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 11:27 AM
April

From recommendations here I would try the Electra Palace.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 02:13 PM
aaron

i stayed at the electra palace and loved it. especially the view of the acropolis from the roof!

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 06:04 PM
tom

I agree, Electra Palace in the Plaka is a very nice hotel, with a great rooftop view, in a very good location, and surprisingly quiet. The narrow, 1-way Plaka streets don't get the brunt of Athen's traffic.<BR><BR>Don't confuse the "Electra Palace" hotel with the just plain "Electra" hotel near Syntagma Square. The latter hotel appears to be a run-of-the-mill urban business hotel, on a noisy major boulevard.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
Christian

Electra Palace seems to be closed the days I will be there (third week in May), the website says the hotel is booked.<BR><BR>Any other nice hotels in Athens? has anyone stayed at the Marriott?<BR><BR>thanks,<BR><BR>Christian

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:38 PM
Grasshopper

check out www.greektravel.com Lots of great hotel (and Athens) recommendations. Be sure to review the Athens Guide

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:21 PM
rita

Try the Hotel Herodian. I've done a few posts on it so if you do a search you will come up with more of my comments.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:35 PM
Walter

Acropolis View Hotel (3*), many positive and a few negative posts can be found in a search. I liked it and had a wonderful view. Regards, Walter

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:28 PM
xxx

I just thought of something. Walter: you not the Walter C of CBS news fame are you?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Thyra

We stayed at the Acropolis View and true to it's name it had a great view! Nice amenities and great staff. However it was a little bit of a hike to the Plaka.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:56 PM
Tricia

I 'm going back to Greece in August and we thought about staying at the Marriott but it seemed to far out of the way we decided to stay at the Attalos after reading greektravel.com. It's such a good price for Athens

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:27 PM
Sue

Another vote for Acropolis View, and thought it was a rather pleasant walk to the Plaka. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:58 PM
Valerie

Has anyone ever stayed at the Athens Plaza Hotel?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:43 PM
Diane

I've stayed at the Marriott (1990) and the Acropolis View (1989). The Acropolis View, at least 13 years ago, was very basic, inexpensive, and in a quiet area. It seemed like a good place to stay before heading to the ferry in the morning. I stayed here on my first night on my first trip to Greece. I remember checking on a hot afternoon and being surprised to find an airconditioner in my room. When it didn't work I called downstairs and they told me they only turned it on for a few hours a day, in the morning and in the evening. It didn't run in the middle of the afternoon when it was needed most. Again, that may have changed since I was there. Don't expect anything upscale. The Marriott, on the other hand, was a large, modern hotel, and you really cannot compare the two. I remember lots of marble in the lobby and an extremely comfortable room. The pool is on the roof with a beautiful view. One thing I didn't like about the Marriott was that in the middle of nothing -- I could not walk to anything, even a corner grocer. That may have changed by now. I stayed on points, and as such, it was an excellent value.<BR><BR>On my first night when I stayed at the Acropolis View I walked a few blocks to a restaurant that looked as if it had been converted from someone's home. The area was residential. No one there spoke English and I spoke no Greek. I went early in the evening and was the only diner as the Greeks tend to eat late. The woman who seated and served me invited me into the kitchen to see what was cooking so I could select my dinner. I looked in the oven and into pots on the stove and pointed. My dinner was delicious. This has nothing to do with the question you asked, but I thought I'd throw in a fond memory anyway.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 01:05 AM
michael

I was born and brought up in Athens and can recommend several - see my review on<BR>http://www.i-escape.com/destination_guide_results.php?page=4&liveregion=At hens+%26+around<BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Tina

We stayed at the Hotel Amazon in Syntagma/Plaka. A very nice staff, clean and only 48 Euros a night with continental breakfast. The rooftop has an incredible view of the Acropolis and surrounding areas. You may want to ask for a room that doesn't face mitropoleos as it can get a bit noisy at night. Overall, we were very pleased and there are so many wonderful eateries within a few minutes. Tina<BR><BR>http://www.amazonhotel.gr

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Carol

I've stayed at many different hotels in Athens. Personal favorite is the Electra Palace....hands down for convenience and that rooftop pool, plus a very good breakfast. I've also stayed at the Divani Palace - about a 10 minute walk to Plaka - a more highly rated hotel than the Electra Palace, but just okay. If you'd like a nice budget hotel, try the Hotel Philippos on Mitseon Street. Also about a 10-minute walk to Plaka. The staff is wonderful, the breakfast good, and the rooms are nicer than you would expect in a hotel Cat. B hotel. Ask for rooms on the highest floors - many are quite large or have HUGE balconies and most have nice views of the Acropolis. It's a safe bet if you're not looking to spend all your money on a hotel, and it's convenient. Have fun. I'll be there in September. Can't wait.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Carolina

The Attalos is pretty nice and very good value. It is a bit of a lonely walk from there to the restaurants etc at night. This is the only disadvantage. <BR>My favourite choice is the Athens Gate - about 5 - 10 minutes walk from the Plaka, and with a wonderful rooftop bar / restaurant. Also, pretty good value although some of the rooms could do with a facelift.<BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Susan

We stayed at the Attalos in September 200 - I don't recall it being a lonely walk to restaurants - on the contrary, it's very central.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:11 AM
TTT

topping

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -