Hotels in Athens

Search

Hotels in Athens

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Athens

We are only in Athens for a day , after a cruise. We arrive in Pireaus at 8a.m. and fly out at 10 a.m. the next day. We want to see the main sights in Athens...and am considering the King George Palace or the Electra Palace Hotel. Are they near each other? i really would like the Grand Bretagne but it is too expensive. Would stil like to be able to visit it? Is it close by? Any thoughts on these hotels....thanks
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I think what you most need to determine is not those hotels relationship to each other, but their relationship to the Acropolis. No doubt this is the "main sight" you want to see.

Get the best hotel you can afford as close as you can to the Acropolis.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM

If the Electra Palace is in your budget, it's an excellent choice. It's in the Plaka, very close to all the major tourist sights, and has great views of the Acropolis from the roof, where there's a restaurant and pool.

It's just a few short blocks from the EP to the Grande Bretagne, which is right on Syntagma Square. It takes 5-10 minutes to walk between them.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM

The King George and the Grande Bretagne are close to one another. The Electra Palace is in Plaka, which is within walking distance of the other two hotels you mentioned. Of these, I have stayed only at the Electra Palace, in 2005. It is a large, modern hotel which gets lots of tourist groups. The decor is on the gaudy/fancy/ornate side.. large chandeliers, lots of marble, etc.

They offer rooms with a terrace facing the Acropolis. You will see the ruins in the distance, not up close. The rooms are comfortable.

I did not find the staff particularly warm or welcoming. Or helpful. But if you want to stay in Plaka it is probably a good bet, if you do not want to spend the big money for the GB.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM

I used the ladies' room at the Grand Bretagne after we watched the changing of the guard.

We stayed at the Athens Cypria, and were very satisifed. It was well located, the rooms were large, the bathrooms were modern, and the front desk staff were helpful and friendly. Ask for a room on the 6th floor with a view of the acropolis--that was wonderful.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM

The NJV Athens Plaza is on the same street as the Grand Bretagne and not as expensive. It's a gorgeous hotel and if you are lucky enough to be on the top floor as we were, there are uninterrupted views of the Acropolis. It's not far to the Acropolis (30 minute stroll at most) and you will see a fair bit of Athens as you make your way there. The bonus is that you are a 30 second walk from the Changing of the Guard which is lots of fun. From this hotel you can also visit the Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Gate which are also good and walkable.

I love Athens and hope you do too. Enjoy your day. Cathie
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:35 AM

"It's not far to the Acropolis (30 minute stroll at most)."

To what part of the Acropolis? My recollection is that from most entry points at the base of the hill, it takes at least 30 minutes to arrive at what most people mean when they talk about the Acropolis: the buildings at the top of the hill.

Malaysia doesn't say what time of year he/she is going, but in summer, I would find a 30 minute walk, plus another 30 minute walk uphill, something to think about if I was taking this walk in summer after 10am.

I might want to stay quite close to the entrance of the Acropolis, and go visit the fancy hotel 30 minutes away in the evening.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 03:08 AM

Malaysia, if you are looking for a hotel with a rooftop view of the Parthenon and also closer to the Acropolis, I highly recommend the Herodion hotel. It has a lovely rooftop setup, no pool but 2 jacuzzis and an outdoor shower. We went up at night and enjoyed a glass of champagne. We were only there for one night and wanted to be close to the Plaka. The photos on TripAdvisor don't do it justice. This is a small, chic, modern hotel and very reasonably priced. Good luck! Enjoy Athens - it's a fabulous place.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Just another option - I stayed at the Hotel Central in Plaka which is just around the corner from the Electra Palace, so it is very well situated to all of the main sites. I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked the Hotel Central, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Nothing fancy, but definitely a nice place to stay and a great location. I would say it was about a 20 minute stroll to the top of the Acropolis (very short stroll to the base of the Acropolis, but keep in mind, you have to get up that hill!!). Easy walking to the Roman Agora, Ancient Agora, Syntagma Square, etc. It has a great rooftop deck with a jacuzzi and a gorgeous view of the Acropolis at night. It's a good and more reasonably priced alternative to Electra depending on how price sensitive you are...You can literally see the top of the Electra Palace from the Hotel Central - they are very close. Ask for a room with an Acropolis view as well.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Hi zeppole, I was trying to suggest a hotel near the others that Malaysia is considering.

I checked with my husband before posting the timing of the walk as I wasn't sure.

We are Australian and perhaps we are made of tougher stuff than some, as we were in Athens during a heatwave in May 2006 and walked all over the place.

There's really no need to be so blatantly critical of other poster's attempts to help. I'm sure that malaysia would have enough sense to get a taxi if it's a hot day.

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Did I sound "blatantly critical"?

Sorry! I'm not from Australia.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM

By the way, it's generally not considered sensible to take taxis in Athens except when called by one's hotel, although perhaps Athenian taxi drivers are getting a bum rap.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM

I have taken many taxis in Athens (and when I was very drunk) and I never had a problem.

I even shared a taxi with some fat ladies and a guy after I flagged it down in Syntagma Square.

I think that you--Malaysia--should splurge and stay at the Grande Bretagne.

You only live once.

Thin,
who has stayed at the Grande Bretagne and Athens Intercontinental
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help and comments. I am in Athens in October...narrowed it down to staying at the King George Palace Hotel. now shopping for a good rate