Search

Athens - Grand Bretagne Hotel vs.King George's Palace

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens - Grand Bretagne Hotel vs.King George's Palace

Hi All:

Any insights/experience in the above hotels in Athens ? Both seem to be in great a location. Walking distance to the acropolis etc..

Thanks for your response.g
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Hi Rachel

The Grand Bretagne gets quite a bit of favourable mention on this forum. Just do a search. The location is excellent. The roof top bar gets a real rap. You can also check www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM

I stayed at the Grande Bretagne back in 1998 before it was refurbished for the Olympic Games. Last summer, I returned to Athens, but stayed at the Intercontinental.

Grande Bretagne and King George are right next to each other on Syntagma Square. You are in walking distance to the Plaka, Attica Dept. Store, and the chic neighborhood of Kolonaki. There are many boutiques (Louis Vuitton, Bulgari, Cartier, etc.) behind the hotel.

Another 5-star hotel that is much closer to the Acropolis is the Royal Olympic, which sits at the southern end of the National Gardens.

The Grande Bretagne Hotel, however, is THE address in Athens.

Thin
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Hi Rachel 15,

I've stayed at The Grande Bretagne several times, most recently this June. I love the hotel and its location, but room size does vary widely according to category. The "classic" rooms make me claustrophic. They are quite small, usually with no view, and you can barely open up your suitcase without hitting a wall.

Depending on the time of year, I have sometimes used our Starwoods AMEX card to upgrade to the next category. But this is getting harder to do all the time since the hotel is constantly busy.

However, rooms at The King George are even smaller in almost EVERY category except the suites!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Excuse the typo! Obviously, that should read, "claustrophobic" not "claustrophic"!

If, by any chance, you don't need to be right in Athens, you might take a look at The Westin Aster, which is in a suburb about 20 minutes or so by car from Athens. It's across the street from a beach, has a beautiful pool, lovely rooms, and gives you a resort option close to Athens. Also it's an easy cab ride from ITHAKI, which is a beautiful waterfront restaurant with excellent food and very lively club-type atmosphere.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Hi, Weadles. So good to here from you.

Thingorjus
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Hi Proenza!

Nice to hear from you, too! When are you off to see the swans?
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM

I am leaving for Paris on November 13, staying 10 days. I am meeting my cousin, Kirsty, who is from London but now lives in Sao Paulo. Keith is not coming because he has to work and he said he doesn't want to go to Paris anyway. (I think we will be getting a divorce soon.)

I heard there is a black swan in the Bois de Vicennes.

Thingorjus
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM

Hi Proenza,

I miss your acid-tongued writing.
G.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 03:50 AM

Thin,

I hope that you have a wonderful time in Paris. And that the black swan cooperates when you visit! Please post when you return. I'll look forward to your hilarious writing!
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank You all for your response. I have a made a reservation at the Grand Bretagne..
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Rachel 15,

Have a wonderful time! It's such a nice hotel. Try to at least have a drink at the rooftop restaurant with its incredible views of the Acropolis. Breakfast there is quite good, too, although expensive, but you won't need lunch after eating the array of offerings there.