Best hotel in Athens

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Toni

Best hotel in Athens

We would like a good hotel in Athens near the Platka. Want to be able to walk to sights. Need TV, amenities, etc. At least 4-star. Help!We arrive 8/31

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:35 PM
John G

The two best hotels in Athens are the Grand Bretagne and the Inter-Continental, both of which I or members of my family has stayed at. I like the Grand Bretagne because of its central location near the Plaka. My mother and father prefer the Inter-Continental.

I think, however, the Grand Bretagne is being closed for renovations for the next Olympics.

But, taxis are so cheap in Athens, it is very easy to get from the Inter-Continental to the Plaka (which isn't that great, really).

Oh, just to let you know, the last time my mother stayed at the Inter-Continetal, the Sultan of Brunei was also in residence. It is that kind of place.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 05:13 PM
GREG

I BELIEVE THAT GRANDE BRETAGNE IS CLOSED FOR THE SUMMER. THE INTERCONTINENTAL IS A VERY NICE HOTEL. I WOULD RECOMMEND THE "ATHENS PLAZA", A 5STAR HOTEL AT SYNTAGMA SQUARE NEXT TO THE UNDERGROUND.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Dave

Please visit the following address:http://www.athensguide.com/

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:12 AM
elef

1/ for intercon. check before as some renovations are in progress around the pool and the coffe shop..

2/ for the athens plaza...stay away as two of its direct neighbors-hotels are under complete renovation(the king george and the grande bretagne)...and you should expect a lot of noise starting at 6.30 am!!

3/ near plaka the best choices are the divani palace/ the herodion hotel and wthin 15 min pleasant walk to plaka through the vibrant kolonaki,the st george of lykabettus.

4/ one option to consider is one of the resorts in vouliagmeni (astir palace)etc.. approx 15 miles /30 min to plaka by car. to enjoy both the privilege of a beach and the sightseeing of the town.