Hotel - Spain and Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any hotel recommendation for the following cities, around 100 dollars night, for 2 people?

- Madrid
- Salamanca
- Santiago de Compostela
- Viana do Castelo
- Oporto
- Lisboa
- Sevilla
- Granada
- Cordoba
- Toledo

If you have the website and location, it would be great!!

Thanks,
Patricia
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Chatters

MADRID: Best Western Hotel Atlantico, Gran Via, great buffet breakfast included, shuttle van free pick-up from the airport, $6/pp airport drop off, around $94/double last time I stayed there in 2001.
http://bestwestern.worldexecutive.co...els/92044.html

SALAMANCA: NH Hotel Palacio de Castellanos; $110/double last time we stayed there (May 1999). Exceptional value for the location, gorgeous hotel, definitely recommend it, well worth going the extra 10 bucks.
http://salamanca.nh-palacio-de-caste...name=Salamanca

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA: Hotel Des Artes opened in 1999 and I picked up a brochure. A couple of blocks from the Cathedral, unbeatable location.
http://www.asartes.com/

VIANA DO CASTELO: We stayed in an apartment 300 meters from the beach; $35/night, clean, lovely beach, we barbecued every day. Apartments Sandy Mar, no website that I know of; phone (058) 322982 (May 1999). Worthy Alternative: Pouzada Santa Luzia, about $120/double; WELL WORTH THE EXTRA 20 BUCKS. This is the hotel to stay in Viana do Castelo, amazing sea views from the hilltop where this lovely hotel is located.
http://www.pousadas.pt/pls/wse/wsewp...mp;p_lingua=en

There are tons of listings within that budget in this forum, well worth taking some time to browse/use the copy-paste function.

Hope this helps.

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM

I couldn't say enough good things about Hotel del Cardenal at Paseo de Recaredo 24 in Toledo. Am not sure of their e-mail address, but maybe someone here knows it. Also not sure of the exact price...when we stayed there 2 years ago I think it was $90, but even if it's a little more now, it's well worth it.

Also, last year we stayed at Conquistador Hotel in Cordoba with one Bancotel coupon (which is 50E) purchased through Petrabax.com here in the U.S., but you can purchase them directly from Bancotel.com, but I believe you need to get books of 5 coupons each. They also have hotels in some of your other destinations. We also stayed at Gran Luna in Granada for 1 coupon, and it was OK, but Conquistador was very nice, and a great location, with a fabulous garden.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Agree on the Atlantico in Madrid, although it might be over $100 per night these days. The Carlos V in Madrid, also a Best Western-affiliated property, is a solid 3-4 star, also with a great breakfast buffet and large, if kind of bland, rooms.
The Dauro II in Granada is less than $100 a night (probably closer to $75) and is quite comfortable.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I stayed in the pousada in Viana do Castelo mentioned by Chatters two years ago. It's really lovely. We could see the church we passed by on the way to the pousada, the coast and the sea from the window of our window. The room, public areas and restaurants were as nice as they could be, like other pousadas in Portugal. I don't remember the price we paid, though.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:04 AM

Hi, the hotels I stayed at in Madrid, Sevilla, and Granada fit your price range and were well located:

Madrid: High Tech Petit Palace Ducal (I got them through www.hotelpronto.com). Modern, comfortable, and across the street from a metro. 5 minutes to Plaza Mayor.

Granada: Hotel Anacapri - 1 block from the cathedral, at the bottom of the Albaicin district. Basic room but perfect location. www.hotelanacapri.com

Sevilla: Hotel Alcantara. In the Santa Ana neigborhood, which is where you want to stay. www.hotelalcantara.net.

Hope this helps.
Karen
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:17 AM

In Madrid, we stayed at the Hotel Plaza Mayor. This is an inexpensive but well located and charming hotel just steps from the Plaza Mayor. I believe it was about 75 Euros.
In Seville we stayed at the Amadeus, a very pretty, small hotel in a great location. This was about 85 Euros a night.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 05:53 AM

I am using the www.discoverportugal2day.com site and the recommendations on the Portugal site for my trip. We're flying into Oporto and doing pretty much a Pousada tour of the N and Central towns - Don't miss Pousada Sta. Luzia in Viana do Castello. Fortunately, one of us is a "senior" which gets a 35% discount in the Pousadas Sun - Thurs.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the posts so far..
I found some lovely places.. but I am sad to say that the prices increased A LOT!!!

But I am still searching... all inputs are welcome!

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:45 PM

mikemo,

What route are you going in Portugal? And when you are going?

Are you going to cruise on the Douro while you are in Oporto? There is a pousade called Solar de Rede where you can stay for a night after the cruise. There are beautiful vineyards around and you can walk around and see people working on them.

If you could afford the time, go also to the Pousada de Sao Bento in Geres. It's really beautiful!

Great trip!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

We haven't think about the cruise on the Rio Douro.. Is that worth it? How long does it take?

We will be at Oporto on May 27.

Thanks.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM

I think there must be different kinds of cruises with different duration. The one we had took half a day on the boat but 2 days in total.

We got on a boat in Oporto in the morning (on the quieter side of the river) and then the boat went along the river, passing by some vineyards, small towns, dams. We arrived in a town called Rede in the afternoon where we're transferred to a pousada called Solar de Rede. It's a lovely place on the top of a hill, overlooking the river and surronded by vineyards. We went back to town for a walk and for dinner. The following morning, we went around some vineyards where people're actually working. The scenery was very nice and the people very friendly. We had a nice lunch in the pousada and then we're transferred to the train station where we headed back to Oporto.

It's a nice trip. If you have time, you can consider it as a side trip.
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Selinalei,
Thanks!
2 nights each @ beginning 12 July:
P. Sta Marinha - Guimaraes
P. Sta Luzia - Viana do Castelo
Par. Baiona - Bayona, Spain
P. Sao Bento - Canicada