Reload this Page >

Hotel Santa Maria or Hotel Ponte Sisto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
JaneRebecca

I just received confirmation from Hotel Santa Maria for only 5 out of the 6 nights I would like to be in Rome for 330 Euros per night for the only room they have left: a junior suite. Also, received a confirmation through 'Reservation Italy' for Hotel Ponte Sisto for 300 Euros per night for all six nights for a Triple room. It's been difficult deciding because I have never been to Rome.

I am concerned about "Reservation Italy" because I have never used them before and their rates are considerably lower than the hotel web site. Can I get some feedback from folks who have used their services? Also, which one of these hotels would be best for a newcomer to Rome?

They both want to know A.S.A.P.!!! It is very difficult getting a rez in Rome and this is for mid-October.I have been rejected by many of my first choices, already.

Also, in Florence, I have received confirmation from Hotel Casci. I think this is a very good choice. What do you all think? I like a quiet hotel, with nice people running it (they don't need to fuss over me since we are pretty independent) but nice, and a decent size room and bath. Is there a better choice that isn't priced over 200-250 euros a night! I am amazed at the rates in Italy having done most of my travel lately in Spain.

Thank you one and all. I love the Fodors Forum and have learned so much from it over the years.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to stay in the Ponte Sisto. It's in a interesting location just across the river from Trastevere. Do you have a room overlooking the inner garden?

And I've heard good things about the Casci.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:53 AM
JaneRebecca

Hi Mimar;

Reservation Italy does not tell you where the room is in the hotel;just what type of room it is. Do you think facing the inner garden is preferable? Have you seen the hotel?

Jane

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:53 AM

For Florence you don't need to spend that much for a nice hotel. Try Hotel River, Hotel David, and Orto dei Medici.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
JaneRebecca

The Hotel Casci is 190 Euros, all inclusive, for a Triple. Is it one of those hotels that caters to groups?

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM

I stayed at the Ponte Sisto 2 1/2 yrs ago and really loved it. We had a great room with a terrace. The location is terrific and the service was great (I'm pretty fussy about these things). I made my reservation directly with the hotel.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM

ttt
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
JaneRebecca

ttt

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM

330 for one night seems over the top. You can stay for a week in a private apt. for that amount..Reconsider.
I know the hsm and also the Ponte Sisto.When you go through a reservations industry, you pay their %.
Good luck.
Mary Jane
(writer for Fodors guides )
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I've been to the Ponte Sisto but never stayed there. Just heard about the garden. But since Rome is noisy (all those Vespas, it should be quieter overlooking the garden.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:56 AM

I have stayed twice at Hotel Casci, and planning my third visit this October. They most definitely do not cater to groups, as they are a small family-run hotel of about 25 rooms. They are situated right in the middle of everything (2 blocks from Duomo, one block from David/Accademia and around the corner from San Lorenzo market). The rooms are spotless as is the bathroom. The breakfast is large and varied including eggs, meats, cheeses, etc. The family who run it are amazing people, friendly, helpful and cheery. I have gotten a discount when paying cash. You may try it as well. I look forward to being there again and absolutely feel like returning to friends. Enjoy.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM
mada1978

Places to possibly stay in Rome:
http://www.samrooms.com/gallery.html
Places in Florence that I can suggest:
http://www.samrooms.com/useful_links.html.
Good luck

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I just booked the Casci for next May based on recommendaton os this board. For the cash discount, did you arrange this ahead of tiome or when paying the bill at the end?