Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Silla or other hotels on Arno in Florence

Feb 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Silla in Florence? Other recommendations? Thanks!
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:28 PM
cmt

Yes, I stayed there. It's a nice hotel, but my details might be out-of-date since I was there in 1997. If you put Hotel Silla into the search box above, you'll get quite a few threads mentioning this hotel and some threads that are specifically all about this hotel.
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:35 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Silla and thought it was great. VERY clean hotel with large room and bathroom. Very nice breakfast room and an outside terrace for summer. It's on the oltra arno side, close to many great restaurants, and the Pitti Palace. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Nic
Feb 17th, 2004, 09:00 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Silla for a week last summer. Very nice hotel, breakfast was good, rooms were comfortable, a pair of excellent restaurants just down the street. I would not hesitate to stay there again. The fact that it is on the 'other' side of the Arno should not in my view be a barrier to considering this hotel. The walk is short and very pleasant. In addition as the hotel is on the other side, the level of street noise is likely lower than other Florence hotels.
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:14 PM

We stayed there in September and found it fine. Very helpful staff; large, clean room; good breakfast, and liked the oltra arno neighborhood. I think we paid around 150 euros, including VAT and breakfast. Don't miss the hike up to piazza michelangelo behind the hotel. Wonderful view of Florence.
Enjoy --
Feb 18th, 2004, 06:21 PM

Stayed in Hotel Silla March 2003. Huge rooms and i loved the floor or ceiling window panes. Quiet at night and clean. I would recommend it given that for the location, room and service, the rates are very reasonable. I also prefer it than being across the river. The streets are quite noisy at night and i imagine that hotel rooms in that area can be quite noisy.
Feb 19th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Stayed there last summer. It was clean,air conditioned, modern bathrooms, the breakfast was good and the staff was very helpful. It wasn't the greatest place I ever stayed but it more than sufficed. It is "far" on the map but only about a 10 minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio. Definitely go up to piazza michaelangelo if you stay there.

I would definitely suggest geeting a room that did not face the street/river. Mopeds are flying by all night and it can get loud. It should be noted however that instead of curtains my room did have wood covers on the windows which (if latched) would block out the noise completely (but also the sun).
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:06 AM

You are correct about mopeds! Be careful as you walk around town! My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Luchesi (SP?) in October and it was really nice. Check it on line.