Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Continental on Italian Riveira (Santa Margherita)

Jul 13th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Continental in Santa Margherita lately? I reserved a room there in January for our September honeymoon based on the positive reviews on this website, but am having second thoughts. The pictures on the web site make the rooms look very sparse and I cannot find any information about a pool. (Though it will be late September.) If so, any thoughts on paying almost double for a newly-renovated "Junior Suite" over the sea as opposed to a regular double -- the hotel tells me that they both have private balconies and king-size beds. Probably just nervous about the "perfect honeymoon" pressure, but would appreciate feedback. [Note: the five-star Hotel Imperiale has a room for $320 available as well.]
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:25 AM

It is a fine hotel with great service. Do not be nervous--you will like it.
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. Do you know if they have a pool? (I can't access the virtual tour of the hotel for a photo.) I guess it would also matter what the weather is typically like late September in Santa Margherita.

Any thoughts on the Hotel Imperiale? Some seem to find it very impressive and what would seem perfect for a honeymoon. Then I've read reviews that it's outdated and "tired."
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Lisabeth, We stayed at the Hotel Continental this past May. In fact, it was because of Bob the Navigator's high opinion of the hotel that we decided to stay there. Kudos to this hotel!

Initially we had a lovely room facing the street. By the way, this hotel is at the top of a hill. The scooters disturbed our sleep, and we were moved to a large double room in the back overlooking Golfo del Tigullio. The quality of the furnishings, flooring, bathroom fixtures, linens was high quality and exceptionally clean. Our balcony was large with two chaise lounges, a table, chairs, planters, and plenty of walking room. (You can't see your neighbors.)

No, they don't have a pool, but the bathing/swiming area is unique. The nautical blue and white lounge chairs are placed on huge stone, man-made peninsulas that extend from the hotel's property.

The staff was outstanding. I am very friendly, and I talk to everyone. I tend to make friends quickly and always have a good time. I did have a few giggles watching the owner in his expensive suit inspect every inch inside and outside of his hotel every day. I dubbed him "Inspector General." He was a hands-on guy, who had no problem helping his staff complete a task if they were short handed (in his suit no less). Lots of commraderie amongst the staff workers. (Can you tell I loved this place?)

The Imperial is directly across the street - not on the water- from the Hotel Continental. There is a bridge (overpass) over the street, so that their guests can access the water. Imperial has the same man-made set up with the rocks for bathing.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel, but never dinner. Their Nicoise salad is fresh, nicely presented.

What else can I say...they treated us like royalty. I've already sent them a four-season post card from Connecticut.

If you need any further information about SML, please ask. I stayed at the Hotel Continental for five days, and did a lot of walking in the town.

Jul 14th, 2003, 09:38 AM
lm

Hate to butt into your question here Lisabeth, but I want to stay at the Continental as well as was wondering from the other folks that stayed there how far in advance did they have to make their reservations??
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:22 AM

What Kane said !
During high season I would book 3 months in advance if possible. There are other good hotels in SML closer to the center of town. The BW Laurin is very nice and the Jolanda is a good 3 star value, but 2 blocks off the water.