Hotel Recommendations - Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Italy for the first time for our honeymoon I am finally getting close to booking my hotels. Any advice for the following locations is much appreciated. My trip is late Sept - early Oct and the towns are listed in the order of our visit.

Sorrento - $150-$200

Positano - $150-$200

Capri (worth staying or just do a day trip?)

Tuscany (have not decided on a town yet so very open to this region although we don't want to stay in the populated areas like Florence. We would like to be close enough to do lots of day trips by car. Wine tasting a must and a trip to Florence a must. We basically want to experience as much of the various towns as possible and are looking for quaint and charming. We are also considering a villa. $100-$150

CT - Thinking Monterosso but open $150- $200

Venice - We want to stay on a canal and would like a room with a nice view. $200-$250

The prices are a guide we would like less if possible Of course who wouldn't more money for shopping.

Thank you all for your help,
Ann Pirone
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:13 PM

I was in Positano in September and absolutely LOVED the Villa Rosa. Will definitely stay there again. BEAUTIFUL!!!
check it out...

I would definitely just day trip to Capri. The ferry is in Positano, so it's so easy to day trip to Capri and Amalfi/Ravello. Capri is beautiful, but after going there I was glad we didn't stay there. There is no need to since it's so accessible from Positano.
Also, if you have time, I would recommend taking the ferry to Amalfi and go up to Ravello. In Ravello check out the Villa Cimbrone - breathtaking!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Do you already have hotels in mind? Check out reviews on www/tripadvisor.com. You should also do searches on this site (search field above) or on www.venere.com. Try to get a list of hotels that interest and people here can let you know if they've stayed there and their thoughts.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:55 AM
ira

Hi ap,

Are you sure that you want to visit the AC and the CT on one trip?

Sorrento and Positano are so close, that I wouldn't bother packing up to make the transfer.

Many people have reported that an overnight (or 2) on Capri is much better than a day trip.

May I suggest that you fly into Venice and out of Naples? I think that you will get better schedules that way.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,

I am so excited! I just booked my tickets and now it is a done deal, no turing back.

Flying into Paris on the 24th of Sept, with a 19 hour lay over, YEAH! Then fly to Naples in the morning of the 25th.

We leave out of Venice on the 10 of Oct. Now I just need to book all my hotels. Wow, it is nice to have the flight wrapped up.

As for agenda it would either be Sorrento or Positano. I just haven't decided which would be better. So, I was asking for recommendations for both till I can decide. I have heard so many wonderful things about both cities that I am really torn. It looks like we have an extra night in our agenda now, so an over night stay on Capri might be in order.

Let me know if anyone has an opinion, hotel recommendations, or useful information for the agenda I have put together.

Paris - 1 night (we are just going to stay in a hostel) funny our first night of our honeymoon will be in a hostel. It will be fun to experience it!

Sorrento or Positano - 3 nights

Capri - 1 night (maybe)

Tuscany (not sure where, want to be centeralized but still removed, not asking for much) - 5 nights

CT - 3 nights (or 2 if we should add a another night to Tuscany)

Venice 3 nights

Thanks so much for any insight.

Ann
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM

I will second Villa Rosa in Positano. We stayed there on our honeymoon and loved it. Be sure to ask for a room on a higher floor for the best view. Breakfast is served on your terrace and it is wonderful and very romantic. Check out their website, the pictures do not lie. I can't remember what we paid, but it should be around your price range. We found it very easy to get around from Positano, I recommend taking the ferry over the bus if you can.

We also stayed in Montalcino (about an hour or so south of Florence) on our honeymoon at Hotel Dei Capitani. Again, amazing views. The walls were a little thin, but large rooms, huge bathrooms and a good breakfast is included. We paid 100 euros/night. It was very easy to day trip from there. Eat dinner at Grappolo Blu, even if you don't stay in Montalcino. Yum!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM

Apirone:
How exciting for you and your honeymoon trip to Italy!

We'll also be there late Oct/Sept and while we're not going all the same places as you, two hotels you may want to look at are:

Venice - Hotel Galleria

www.hotelgalleria.it

Monterosso (Cinque Terre) - Hotel Margherita:

http://www.monterossonet.com/ita/str...rita/index.htm

They fall into your price range (E130/night).

We haven't stayed at either of these hotels before, but I've done a lot of research and they get good reviews both here and on tripadvisor.

Also, Paris has many nice affordable hotels - would be a lot more romantic than staying in a hostel!

A few website to try:

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/
http://www.123france.com

The 4th, 5th & 6th arrondissments are very lively, full of great shops and restaurants.

Good luck to you!
Carol
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM

In Venice we stayed at Locanda Orseolo. We had a room with a courtyard view, but there are canal view on the other side of the property. Read the great review on trip advisor. You couldn't ask for a better location, right off St. Mark's square.http://www.locandaorseolo.com/en/
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM

Room 1 at Il Giglio in Montalcino is the perfect spot for a honeymoon stay. The room isn't very large, but it is the only room in the hotel with a private terrace with the most GORGEOUS view over Montalcino and the Tuscan hills. You can have breakfast served on your terrace for a very minimal charge. The staff were wonderful--very welcoming and accomodating. Here is the website: http://www.gigliohotel.com/en/hotel/ There is a photo of the terrace--it is even more glorious in person!!
PS-we also had a delicious dinner at their restaurant
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM

This is an affordable hotel one town east of Sorrento:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Campania.html

Stayed there last December, and wrote a nice review of it with a photo. Since then many other reviews, and almost everybody agrees.

I won't recommend it if you don't have a car, but since you do, you really should check it out. For honeymoon, I'll reserve a room on the top floor with a private balcony.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. Any others for Cinque Terre, Tuscany, and Capri?

Thanks
Ann
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Before our honeymoon to the Amalfi Coast we were given the advice to stay overnight on Capri.

This was the BEST piece of advice we received! We LOVED capri - and really felt that the magic came alive there after the daytrippers left. There is quite a lot to do there, the views are outstanding, evening walks are enchanting, and the people watching is unbeatable.

We stayed 2 nights - and were absolutely enchanted. I would recommend staying in Capri Town - not Anacapri.
We stayed at La Minerva - which was very, very nice. I think you could get a very good price there if you reserve a room without a view.
Good luck!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM

We stayed at La Calcina in Venice and loved it! We had the corner canal front room on the 3rd floor with two big windows that opened onto the huge Giudecca canal and a side window overlooking a small canal. The room was gorgeous and spacious.

We loved staying in Dordoduro, away from the madding crowds but a 5 minute walk to the Accademia vaporetto stop and the Zattare stop as well. It was so easy to get around from there, numerous great places to eat nearby and a fantastic view. The staff was very freindly and helpful and the breakfast is served on their floating deck right on the canal.

We paid 202 E for this room in May. They fill up quickly and we booked the room 7 months in advance. They did require a very large deposit sent by personal check up front, but it was well worth it. http://www.lacalcina.com/
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM

well...for a resonable luxury ;-) I love the Eden Roc in Positano...and the Dei Dogi in Venice...hmmm...I fell now maybe I shouldn't post them here in fear they will fill up...both have GREAT off-season rates...search all the usual travel sites.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:50 PM

apirone,
My trip report covers some of the areas you are interested in http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34811101

If you have questions feel free to e-mail.

Henry