Hotel Rapheal

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Rapheal

Has anyone stayed in the suites at Hotel Rapheal in Rome?
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 02:02 PM

I stayed there last summer. We had a junior suite on the fifth floor. Very spacious bedroom, sitting room and huge bathroom with state of the art jacuzzi shower. Good service but breakfast is not included. Lovely rooftop bar and restaurant with one of the best views in Rome. I think the room was around 500 dollars per night.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

thank you! We had heard the regular rooms were a bit small so it is good to know the suites are more spacious.
Thanks again!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Tulip dear,

Hotel Raphael is one of Rome's biggest rip-offs. They should be ashamed of themselves. Do some more homework and spend your money more wisely. You can find much more bang for those bucks sweetie.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I have a reservation at the hotel for late September. NYCFoodSnob, pls explain why you think the hotel is such a ripoff. In general, hotels are so expensive in Rome that I thought 300Euros for a hotel that was highly rated was not so bad. I imagine there is time to change
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Italian businessmen who enjoy style won't stay there. In fact, upper-middle class Italian tourists who love visiting Rome won't stay there. Why? Because they know for the same Euro, or less, you can get so much more elsewhere. Hotel Raphael takes full advantage of its quaint location and its former success with certain, lazy guide-book writers. It also takes full advantage of its savvy-less customers. Those tiny, tiny rooms and baths are a joke, even by NYC standards. And their decoration is looking pretty damn tired. This hotel is a prime example of ownership greed, hubris, and more greed, just ask any Roman in the high-end hospitality busniess. Darlings, do your homework and spend your money more wisely. Rome offers some wonderful places to sleep at night. You can do so much better than this.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:10 AM

I find it interesting then when we stayed at the Raphael, we were virtually the only Americans there. The rest were apparently well-heeled Italians, many businessmen who I would have suspected had taste.

I also find it interesting that Food Snob has taken the time to tell us that there are many other places with more bang for your buck, but has failed to be specific in offering a single alternative.

We found the Raphael to be the finest hotel we've stayed at in Rome, and fair in price compared to the others we've stayed at. In terms of the claim about greed, how do you explain the constant updating and remodeling changes they have been making?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM
CalgirlSusan

Did you have a particularly bad experience at Raphael that you're not willing to share with us, NYCFoodSnob? My experience has been that when someone expresses such extreme displeasure with a place without any specific examples, there is more there than meets the eye.

Based on several glowing recommendations from friends, Hotel Raphael is on my short list for a hopeful future stay in Rome.

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:06 AM

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the standard double rooms but our junior suite had very recently been redone and the decor was fresh and very elegant. The rooms, although labeled a junior suite, probably had more square footage than most full suites. When we were there last summer it seemed that we were the only Americans in the place and like Patrick said, the hotel was filled with what appeared to be Italian business men. For 300 Euros, you could get a double at the Del Senato, one of my favorite hotels, but that room will be very tiny and may not have the marvelous view of the Piazza della Rotunda. Same with the Santa Chiara. Can you find less expensive yet charming hotel rooms in Rome? Sure. But for a four star hotel about 20 steps from the Piazza Navona, 300 Euro is not a bad price.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Contrary to how it reads, my forceful, snobby opinion should never be interpreted as an absolute.

I never said Hotel Raphael doesn't have a large following of devotees. The place is sitting on golden real estate and the owners aren't stupid. They certainly know how to cater to their regulars and the few lucky first-timers who get the too-few, "decent" rooms.

There's something for everyone in Rome and you're free to spend your money any way you wish. I'm only expressing my opinion.

Patrick: I don't admire lazy people. There's a plethora of web-info on Rome's boutique hotels. Plenty of books and magazine articles, too. (I may have written a few.) Smart travelers do their homework. If you have a specific question regarding a specific place, I may not mind adding my two cents, especially if I disagree with you. I try never to recommend anything I LOVE to people who's taste I don't know. I find that behavior presumptuous. My standards and expectations are always higher than most. If you love the Raphael, then I'm happy for you.

CalgirlSusan: I've only had one bad experience with a hotel in Italy in 20 years of visits and it was in Venice. But this was long before I got very connected.

There's no personal animosity at the root of my opinion. I simply find their audacity offensive. Some might think their marketing skills brilliant. I've seen the rooms and I won't be staying there.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Well...........what can I say. The foodsnob definitly has a right to his or her opinion, however this is the only negative comment I have ever heard of this hotel. Thank you for all of your feedback, we are going to stay here and really look forward to it!
Thanks everyone!!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

I know I am writing this 2 years after the fact. But I have to say that NYFoodSnob is ABSOLUTLY correct on Hotel Rapheal! We thought the hotel was absolutly a joke and would NEVER recommend it to anyone! We had a suite, paying $700/night and the room was filthy! Service horrible! Please, anyone thinking about staying here, save your money and do more research! I am only saying this now because we are planning a trip to France and I am researching Paris and only hope I dont make the same mistake I did in Rome.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Pausanias

Nice location, nice lobby. Too expensive, tacky rooms.

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Well a two year old hotel report doesn't carry much credibility IMO.

Probably (after going on Trip Advisor) and reading the comments about this hotel it is not where one would want to book.

But why, pray tell, does it take two years to post a comment about this hotel? I find that strange.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM

I can't imagine that Hotel Raphael is a popular choice among readers of Fodor's. Frankly, for 400 Euro a night for a standard double, smarter customers will know from research to stay elsewhere.

The "ultra-small room" word on this hotel has been widely publicized for many years. Frankly, I think they should gut the place and start from scratch. The location is fantastic and that hotel could be a real gem. But as it stands now, it's one of Rome's biggest rip-offs.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I am sorry you feel that it is "strange" that I posted this comment when I did. I have not been on Fodors since we went on our Italy trip 2 years age, and forgot about this thread. I just recently started researching France because we are going there this summer. I find your comment very rude...
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 02:05 PM

tuleppy, don't let the Fodor's self-annointed investigators get you down.

Some posters here remind me of nosey neighbors; the kind that have to know every detail and motive so they can decide how to judge you. And to think they do it with a smile, too.

You're reason sounds perfectly viable to me. But, then again, I don't spend most of my life here and, frankly, I missed the part about the two year absence.

I have no doubt that other researchers will appreciate your post. Do you think any of these investigators know who owns the Hotel Raphael?